Chemical Hygiene Officer
LocationNew York, NY
DeptEnvironmental Health & Safety
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
As one of the world's premier cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously strive to exceed and set industry standards as well as enhance the safety culture. EHS is responsible for Fire and Life Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a proven leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
We are seeking a Chemical Hygiene Officer to join our dynamic EHS team.
- Promote safety culture and implement institutional Laboratory Safety Program, including ensuring all activities related to the use of hazardous chemicals in MSK laboratories enterprise-wide are conducted in a safe manner and in compliance with internal MSK and external regulatory requirements.
- Act as program lead managing the Controlled Substances Program in all animal and non-animal research.
- Partner with laboratory leadership and staff to develop, review, and approve High Hazard Operating Procedures for activities that involve particularly hazardous substances; ensuring safe handling and storage of highly toxic, reactive, carcinogenic or other inherently hazardous materials.
- Investigate and examine the workplace for hazards and potential risks; mitigating workplace hazards; and performing accident and incident investigations.
- Provide guidance regarding personal protective equipment selection based on assessments; disseminate chemical safety information throughout laboratories via effective communication.
- Facilitate training and implementation of the Chemical Hygiene Plan and other laboratory safety training.
- Develop and implement EHS programs to ensure regulatory compliance with OSHA, and other local, State, and Federal EHS requirements.
- Report to the Biosafety Manager to assure compliance with all applicable laboratory safety requirements by means of inspections, reports, institutional committee memberships, and instructional workshops and training programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related major; Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working in laboratories with laboratory personnel to implement chemical safety programs required.
- Candidates with at least 6 years of relevant experience can be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.