Computational Biologist II
LocationNew York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK Kids is applying next-generation sequencing techniques to characterize the spectrum of germline and tumor genetic mutations. These genomic data are guiding screening, risk reduction, therapeutics and cascade testing in families.
The Computational Biologist will provide bioinformatics support in the development of next-generation sequencing applications to characterize the spectrum and clinical significance of genetic mutations detected in germline samples with the integration of other sequencing data and biomarkers. We seek to fund the work of a computational biologist/molecular geneticist with experience in linkage studies and identifying candidate genes that confer cancer risk.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team using computational pipelines for the analysis of next-generation sequencing data.
- Analyze data sets to discover and annotate cancer-predisposing genetic mutations.
- Evaluate performance of novel technology platforms and assays.
- Work directly with research groups to analyze biomedical data and address scientific problems with bioinformatics techniques and tools and train researchers in the use of computational and bioinformatics tools.
- Manage and archive large data sets from next-generation sequencing experiments.
- Maintain detailed records of all analyses.
- Present results and progress updates at lab meetings and make presentations to experimental and scientific collaborators.
- Attend seminars, lectures, and training courses to learn new computational biology skills to remain up-to-date with the cancer genomics field and learn new programming languages or techniques as necessary.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in molecular biology, biochemistry, computer science, statistics, mathematics bioinformatics or related field required.
- M.S. or Ph.D experience or research should include familiarity with bioinformatics (such as analysis of sequence data, microarrays, SNPs, image data, proteomics data, or biological pathways, development of algorithms, statistical methods, or scientific software); OR If M.S. or Ph.D with no bioinformatics research, then two (2) years of pre-or postdoctoral experience in computational biology or bioinformatics research is required.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, Perl, or Java required.
- Cross-disciplinary and strong analytical skills as well as broad experience using computational methods, databases, software and hardware.
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.