Cytogenetics Tech (per diem)
LocationNew York, NY
DeptAllied Health - Pathology
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are seeking a Per Diem Cytogenetics Technologist who, under general supervision, will carry out cytogenetic analysis of HER2 FISH testing specimens received by the laboratory.
- Complete diagnostic reports while maintaining quality of work within established time frames.
- Produce written, accurate diagnostic reports of analyzed cases within established turnaround time guidelines:
- Produce preliminary report of analyzed rush cases within 24 hours of doctor’s request and receipt of specimen.
- Produce reports with appropriate depth of analysis as per departmental guidelines.
- Produce accurate reports with accurate interpretation of abnormality and accurate nomenclature.
- Incorporate all available diagnostic data into the report, including, cytogenetic, histopathologic diagnosis, molecular pathology, hematology, etc.
- Understand current literature as it relates to the abnormality and the clinical or tentative diagnosis.
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Focused on continuous improvement and know the most effective and efficient processes to optimize workflow.
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances.
- Motivated to consistently achieve results, from varying specimen types and quality.
- Organized and able to work independently and efficiently.
- A strong creative thinker with excellent problem solving skills.
- BS in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or related life sciences field required
- NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required.
- Experience working in a cytogenetics or other clinical molecular laboratory for 1 year required.
- Experience performing Her2 FISH testing and analysis is preferred.
Hours of work:
- Hours will vary each week as needed but will not exceed 18hrs per week.
- Hours may be outside of routine operating hours, weekends and after 5pm
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.