Scientific Data Curator, MSK MIND
LocationNew York, NY
DeptResearch - Other
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK has initiated a unique and transformative data-driven research initiative, named MSK MIND, to unlock features in imaging, genomics, and electronic medical record data that will better predict patient outcomes and ultimately be translated to improved patient care. The MSK MIND program will accomplish this by creating a data platform for deep large-scale multi-modal data integration for research and development.
We're looking for a Scientific Data Curator to help accomplish MSK MIND’s mission by providing support in the integration of diverse and large scale data that will enable advanced clinical analytics on the MSK MIND platform. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team, and why joining MSK is the right next step in your career.
What You’ll Do:
In this role, you'll work closely with research and data production teams to support data ingestion, curation, and integration of oncology data. Reporting to the Data Engineering team, you'll be responsible for assisting with the development of data capture forms and feasibility tests, and working alongside other team members on ways to improve the workflow of data acquisition. Our team is a multi-disciplinary group where you’ll be working with software and data engineers, data scientists, clinicians, and biologists. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in biology, data management, as well as software engineering and data analysis.
Work with the engineering team to:
- Support the MSK MIND infrastructure for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Monitor ongoing data quality and analysis results
- Co-develop requirements for tools to support data ingest, ETL and dashboarding
- Perform basic quality control of data including tests for data integrity after ETL; test usability of the data during product prototyping
Work with the clinical teams to:
- Coordinate data curation and submission efforts to the MSK MIND platform
- Assist with data manipulation and formatting to fit our data models
- Translate and document key components of data submissions that make for streamlined ETL processes
- Track, manage, and analyze data submissions made by clinical teams
- Accelerate the data ingestion process by assisting in automating data curation processes
Work with the advanced analytics research team to:
- Assist in preparing datasets for their research needs and publication
- Translate their goals into data workflows that will assist data engineers design process
- Identify relevant information in clinical databases
- Assist in other data initiatives at MSK
- Enthusiastic about solving problems in cancer research and their clinical applications.
- Eager to learn and apply new technologies and ideas to benefit the entire organization.
- A person who enjoys working in a team and coaching other team members.
- Master in biomedical engineering, bioinformatics, molecular biology, or genomics (or equivalent) with at least two years of work experience.
- Biomedical data curation experience
- Deep knowledge in at least one of the fields of biology, imaging, and genomics
- Experience in handling clinical data such as radiology and pathology reports, medical
- Experience with shell scripting in a Linux environment
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.