Digital Program Manager, Release Train Engineer (SAFe certified)
LocationNew York, NY
DeptDigital - Agile
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We're excited to recruit program management professionals to lead planning, execution and delivery of digital products. Reporting to the Deputy CIO & VP of Digital Solutions and working closely with product managers and architects, as Digital Program Manager/RTE you will support large cross functional and informational projects.
Following the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), you will act as servant leader and coach for the Agile Release Train (ART) composed of 50 to 150 people (5 to 15 Agile Teams). Your major responsibilities will be to facilitate ART events and processes and assist the teams in delivering value. You will communicate with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk and drive relentless improvement.
- Features Prioritization and estimation with focus on business value
- Establish and communicate the annual calendars for iterations/sprints and Program Increments (PIs)
- Facilitate cross team planning and alignment by facilitating Program Increment (PI) planning
- Facilitate PI planning readiness by guiding vision and backlog preparation during Pre and Post PI planning meeting
- Collaborate with Agile Release Train (ART) team members, delivery team members, stakeholders, business owners etc., in order to refine a backlog of epics, features, and stories to deliver the highest value outcomes for the business.
- Coordination at scale by managing program activities across many teams, ensuring dependencies and risks are identified and mitigated, and impediments are resolved in a timely manner.
- Promote data-driven decision making by guiding the ART to optimization through continuous improvement using data to inform discussions.
- Manage and optimize the flow of value through the ART by facilitating the removal of impediments, identifying waste and bottlenecks and limiting Work in Progress (WIP)
- Apply Lean and Agile practices appropriately in a way that is consistent with the underlying values and principles of the lean and agile mindset
- Ability to recognize how the components (i.e. individuals and teams) of the ART interact as a system and optimize the whole so that it becomes more than the sum of its parts.
- Foster a culture of trust, collaboration, communication, transparency, and continuous learning & improvement.
- Coaching by sharing experience and knowledge of lean agile practices (SAFe framework) in an open and collaborative way to promote learning and autonomy and increase mastery amongst staff and leaders.
- Effectively facilitating at scale. Align the audience to organizational goals and outcomes, creates engagement and empower teams.
- Identify, engage, and communicate with stakeholders involved in planning and execution to increase alignment towards value delivered
- Focus on a culture of shared accountability between teams on the train and collaboration with teams on other trains. Implement Scrum of Scrums and Cross-Train communication channels
- Develop a standard set of tools for teams to track cross-team dependencies, deliverables, product/feature launches
- Help manage risks and dependencies for assigned program
- 7-10 years Information technology experience
- 4-7 years product/project management working with engineers and product managers and comfortable coordinating across multiple teams to build a centralized understanding of the effort’ status and keep teams on track
- 2-4 years experience as a Scrum Master for software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory
- Experience in coaching and mentoring skills on agile methodology. Understand Scrum Framework, Scrum-of-Scrum lead, and working in scaled Agile environment setting
- Excellent communication and understanding of what level and form of communication is required to keep your teams, stakeholders, and leadership aligned
- Ability to navigate through ambiguity, set direction, and influence those not under direct line of management
- You love helping engineers, operations staff, and other team members do their best work
- know how to read between the lines, connect the dots, and quickly identify opportunities and risks.
- understand how to analyze and decompose a complex systems and knowledge of how different systems interact
- Experience with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Scrum Master certification
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Release Train Engineer certification
Note* we are also recruiting at the director level for candidates with proven leadership/RTE experience - please submit your CV via this job
Location: NYC - Midtown East near Grand Central
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time | Generous Vacation + 12 holidays to recharge & refuel | Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care | 403b retirement savings plan match | Tuition Reimbursement | Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance | Commuter Spending Account | Fitness Discounts & Wellness Program | Resource Networks | Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, transparency, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You read the ad, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply -> Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video call -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback -> ideally an offer! -> reference check & onboarding -> orientation & official welcome to MSK
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.