Bioinformatics Software Engineer III
LocationNew York, NY
DeptResearch - Other
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The mission of the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) is to promote precision oncology through genomic analysis to guide the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. The CMO brings together clinicians and scientists throughout MSKCC to conduct large-scale translational research involving molecular characterization of patient tumor specimens in order to identify correlations between genomic features and clinical outcomes.
CMO Informatics group is developing data analysis pipelines and analytic platforms on both local high-performance computing clusters and cloud-based resources to facilitate research activities and precision health initiatives. This position will directly contribute toward the evolution of our infrastructure design that leverages the Common Workflow Language (CWL) specification and a container-based systems approach that enables compute portability and reproducibility.
We are seeking a Bioinformatics Software Engineer III to perform next-generation sequencing data processing, analysis, and pipeline framework design in a dynamic and exciting academic environment at the nexus of cancer biology, computer science, statistics and clinical research. We are a small group with members from diverse subject areas, working with several active collaborators, and in concert with other Bioinformatics and Software Engineers.
- A software engineer committed to applying programming skills for research discovery and clinical benefit
- Interested in the analysis of large genomic datasets and the development of new analysis tools for research and clinical applications
- Familiar with the analysis of genomic data
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with changing priorities
- A person who enjoys working in a team, is self-motivated, can manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and can solve problems independently
- Someone who is skilled in – or is interested in learning - a pipeline language like CWL
- A self-directed individual with a strong desire to learn and contribute in a team of technical peers
- Willing to learn and adopt new technologies
- Strong interest in enabling open, reproducible research
- Able to apply troubleshooting techniques to resolve complex, cross-functional issues
- Able to work independently and meet deadlines as a member of a team
- Someone with strong organizational and troubleshooting abilities, attention to detail and accuracy
- Masters or equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology or other applied science with at least four years of software development experience or a bachelor’s degree with at least six years of software development experience
- Experience with the UNIX/Linux environment and cluster computing
- Familiarity with source control systems, preferably Git.
- Advanced skills in scripting languages like Python and object-oriented languages like JAVA
- Familiarity with software testing methodologies and concepts
- Experienced in software container technologies such as Docker and/or Singularity
- Some familiarity with statistical computing languages like R
- Experience with web frameworks such as Django
- Familiarity with containers, Docker, and Singularity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with both biologists and IT professionals
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time | Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel | Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care| 403b retirement savings plan match | Tuition Reimbursement | Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance | Commuter Spending Account | Fitness Discounts& Wellness Program | Resource Networks | Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, transparency, and thinking beyond your 8-hourday @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balanceto be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process:
You read the ad, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply -> Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns)-> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video call -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to an on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback -> ideally an offer! -> reference check & onboarding -> orientation & official welcome to MSK
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.