Language Services Education & Training Coordinator
LocationNew York, NY
DeptProfessional - Other
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are looking for a creative and dynamic individual to join us in providing access to healthcare for immigrants and underserved populations in a manner that is responsive to their linguistic and cultural needs. This candidate will use their language skills in English and Chinese (Mandarin) and their experience in healthcare programs aimed at ensuring equity in health. Our successful candidate will work in a highly motivated and dynamic multi-professional environment and will be exposed to a variety of innovative programs. We have programs ranging from interpreting and translating for non-English speaking patients in the research setting, medical interpreting training and cultural responsiveness workshops, community participatory research with taxi drivers and food insecurity interventions. We meet researchers from various disciplines, including internists and public health experts who participate in our learning series seminars and various other initiatives that help us accomplish our mission. This is a fantastic opportunity for individuals who want to apply their linguistic love and knowledge to help us eradicate disparities in health.
- Coordinate training in medical interpreting and cultural competence, including research, development and expansion of curricula, and hiring and training of translators in Chinese (Mandarin)
- Provide interpretation for limited English proficient (LEP) patients and visitors in a professional and ethical manner
- Collaborate with researchers throughout MSKCC on ways to increase the number of minority participants on research studies, especially regarding LEP patients
- Assist the Program Manager in all research and education aspects
- Provide translation, back translation and interpreting services for research activities across multiple departments in the institution as applicable
- A good decision-maker, with shown success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to hold yourself and others accountable to achieve goals and live up to commitments
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Flexible in your approach and attitude in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances
- Bachelor's degree plus at least 2 years related experience or a high school diploma plus 6 years related experience; master's degree preferred
- Experience working with linguistic projects, specifically translating, back translating and/or interpreting in the research setting
- Experience in teaching and translating, specifically medical interpretation preferred
- Medical Interpreter Certification is a plus
- Native fluency in spoken and written Chinese #LI-Post
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.