Technologist I - Molecular Diagnostic
LocationNew York, NY
DeptAllied Health - Pathology
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Molecular Diagnostics Service in the Department of Pathology develops and performs numerous sophisticated clinical laboratory tests for the comprehensive molecular profiling of tumors. This helps clinicians define cancer diagnoses and make treatment decisions, including enrollment in clinical trials.
The Extraction laboratory, within the Molecular Diagnostics Service, is a cutting-edge clinical laboratory with access to the most advanced robotic and automated instruments. Extraction is the foundation for downstream testing, including two of our premier tests: MSK-IMPACT and MSK-ACCESS. MSK-IMPACT has been authorized by the US Food & Drug Administration as a clinical test and has been used to profile tumor and normal DNA samples from more than 40,000 MSK cases as part of their clinical care. “Liquid biopsy” applications such as MSK-ACCESS examine circulating cell-free DNA to enable genomic characterization of cancers where genomic tissue is not available and permits longitudinal monitoring of disease burden.
We are seeking an outstanding technologist to join our Extraction team. The candidate will work with all other teams within the Molecular Service including Fragment Analysis and NGS teams to ensure accurate and high-quality downstream testing. The candidate is expected to be familiar with DNA and RNA extraction methods.
- Highly motivated
- An excellent team player
- Organized and flexible with tasks
- Highly attentive to details
- Able to multi-task to prioritize work
- A quick learner
- Committed to improving cancer care
- Perform DNA or RNA extraction on various specimen types including but not limited to: blood, CSF, FFPE, nails, bone marrow.
- Work with the laboratory supervisor to review/troubleshoot procedures and work assignments.
- Assure the accuracy of all tests performed by adhering to the laboratory’s Quality Control SOPs.
- Participate in the Proficiency Testing Program and inspections, as assigned.
- Participate in the laboratory inventory program that provides adequate inventories of reagents and supplies
- A BS or BA with at least 1-2 years of experience in extraction-based methods.
- Strong organizational and troubleshooting abilities, attention to detail and accuracy, and outstanding communication skills.
- NYS clinical license
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.