Fire Protection System Specialist
LocationNew York, NY
DeptEnvironmental Health & Safety
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
As one of the world's premier cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously strive to exceed and set industry standards as well as enhance the safety culture. EHS is responsible for enterprise-wide environmental health and safety services, including Fire and Life Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a proven leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
We are seeking a Fire Protection System Specialist for our thriving EHS team.
As a Fire Protection System Specialist, you will:
• Provide support to the Fire Protection Manager in overseeing the inspections, testing and maintenance of the fire detection and suppression systems to provide a safe environment to the MSK community and comply with the applicable Fire and Life Safety Codes and building management standards.
• Participate as a member of the fire response team in response to fire alarms and other emergency conditions.
• An Associate's degree(Bachelor's preferred)/Certified Vocational Training in Safety, Fire Science/Administration or equivalent with more than 4 years of experience with fire protection systems and fire safety.
• FDNY Certificate of Fitness for Fire Life and Safety Director – FLSD (F89)(Including F-58 and F-59 where applicable)
• FDNY Issued S-12 Certificate of Fitness (City Wide Supervision of Sprinkler Systems)
• FDNY Issued S-15 Certificate of Fitness (City Wide Supervision of Foam-Water Sprinkler Systems)
• FDNY Issued S-13 Certificate of Fitness (City Wide Supervision of Standpipe Systems)
• FDNY Issued S-95 Certificate of Fitness (City Wide Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems and Other Related Systems)
• Familiarity with environmental health and safety standards from CDC, NIH, OSHA, EPA, DOT and state/local regulatory agencies.
• Working Knowledge of building and fire codes and National Fire Protection Association standards.
• Ability to interpret drawings and perform design review of fire detection and suppression systems.
• Operational knowledge of fire detection and suppression systems.
• Team player and ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, including ability to make presentations, prepare reports etc.
• Strong interpersonal and influencing skills to effectively participate in problem resolution, build relationships and change behavior.
• Competent in the use of computers including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze data, problems, and situations and make recommendations.
For more info on our Environmental Health & Safety Department, please take a look here:
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.