Senior Computational Biologist
LocationNew York, NY
DeptResearch - Other
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you passionate about working with an expanding team of research, clinical and computational investigators working in cancer genomics?
Then join us here at MSK, where we can provide you with the opportunity to make a difference with your career.
The Berger laboratory, affiliated with the Center of Molecular Oncology (CMO), is a group of experimental and computational scientists dedicated to the characterization of genetic mutations in human tumors in order to identify biomarkers of cancer progression and drug response. Using massively parallel next-generation DNA and RNA sequencing, the lab is developing and applying methods to profile individual patient-derived specimens including tumor tissue and circulating tumor DNA for somatic base mutations and other genomic aberrations that may influence response to therapy. Having established the capability to prospectively sequence patients’ tumors to enable treatment selection, we are analyzing the vast clinical genomic data set of annotated tumor specimens spanning all cancer subtypes to identify prognostic and predictive biomarkers.
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Computational Biologist with a strong interest in developing and applying bioinformatics methods to problems in translational cancer biology. The candidate will interact with investigators with expertise in computational biology, genomic technologies, molecular pathology, and clinical oncology. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker, exceptional communicator, self-motivated, organized, capable of carrying out multiple tasks in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, and will enjoy working with an interdisciplinary team.
- A computational biologist committed to applying genomic techniques for clinical benefit.
- A highly organized and self-directed scientist who enjoys working in a team, can manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and can solve problems independently.
- Experienced in both experimental and computational cancer genomic methodologies.
- Collaborative and an excellent communicator.
- Passionate about science with a desire to impact cancer.
- Perform data analysis and interpretation for next-generation sequencing-based clinical and research experiments, including “liquid biopsy” applications.
- Work directly with laboratory staff and computational biologists to interpret results, assess and improve assay performance, and support technology development initiatives.
- Collaborate with clinical and translational researchers to address key clinical and biological questions.
- Work with computational staff members to evaluate new algorithms, processes and technologies, and suggest revisions to increase productivity and efficiency.
- Present results and progress updates at lab meetings, CMO meetings, and to collaborating clinicians and researchers.
- Masters or Phd in cancer biology, genetics, computational biology, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in academic or corporate research.
- Extensive experience in cancer biology and cancer genomic analysis.
- Strong computational and programming skills, including detailed experience with the following: UNIX environment, NGS analysis packages, advanced programming skills, statistical packages.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics concepts, methods, and tools.
- Familiarity with genomic data, tools, and databases.
- Ability to solve problems individually and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and troubleshooting abilities, attention to detail and accuracy, and outstanding oral and written English communication skills.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.