Bioinformatics Engineer - Center for Cell Engineering
LocationNew York, NY
DeptAllied Health - Biomedical Engineering
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is a world renowned organization dedicated to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research, and education.
The Sadelain laboratory in the Center for Cell Engineering at MSKCC is searching for an outstanding Bioinformatics Engineer with a strong interest in developing and applying bioinformatics techniques using next generation sequence data to address problems in one of the most promising areas of translational medicine, adoptive T cell therapy. The focus of this research work is the integrative analysis of high throughput genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic data, in combination with cell phenotyping to identify and evaluate prospective chimeric antigen receptor targets.
The candidate should have a strong background in both bioinformatics and cell biology, be comfortable interacting with investigators with expertise in next generation sequencing, proteomics, translational therapeutics, and immunology. The candidate will work with members of the laboratory, as well as collaborators in other groups and industry partners, to create new analysis methods for therapeutic development and maintain reproducible analysis pipelines.
- A software engineer committed to applying programming skills for research discovery and clinical benefit.
- Interested in the analysis of large genomic datasets and the development of new clinical technologies.
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- A person who enjoys working in a team, is self-motivated, can manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and can solve problems independently.
- An excellent communicator.
- Design, develop, integrate, and operate computational pipelines for the analysis of next-generation sequencing data.
- Automate the calculation of performance metrics and genomic results from DNA sequencing experiments.
- Contribute to a common code base for analysis of research and clinical sequencing data.
- Troubleshoot computational methods and analyses.
- Transform preliminary analysis scripts into robust and efficient code.
- Perform large-scale projects and small custom tasks that span many classes of analysis problems.
- Contribute to a team of translational researchers committed to improving the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, bioinformatics, or mathematics
- 2-4 years of software development experience
- Fluency in Python and R programming language, as well as the tidyverse and bioconductor package suites. Familiarity with UNIX/Linux computing is required.
- Develop a methodology grounded in statistical understanding, including proficiency with probability distributions, statistical significance, variance, and regression
- Comfort manipulating and combining large data sets
- Experience working with high-throughput sequencing technologies and their respective analysis tools and data products, particularly RNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, proteomics or single cell analysis.
- Must be able to both work independently and collaboratively, making necessary connections with experts in various biological and clinical groups
- Strong communication skills and experience delivering scientific presentations as well as writing scientific manuscripts
- Master's or PhD with 0-2 years experience
- Prior involvement in cancer genomics
- Single Cell profiling, analysis, and or understanding
- Proteinomics content experience
- Cloud computing experience (R, python)
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.