Bioinformatics Software Engineer - Python/Java/Scala
LocationNew York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you passionate about collaborating with a team of clinicians and scientists at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center?
Then join us here at MSK, where we can provide you with the opportunity to make a difference with your career. We believe that this is an exciting role for someone who has the right background to be apart of our dynamic team and who wants to apply their skills to support our mission here.
The Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) is searching for a talented self-driven Bioinformatics Software Engineer to build full stack components for various systems to enable and expedite the analysis of circulating tumor DNA sequencing data.
The CMO promotes precision oncology through genomic analysis to guide the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. We bring together clinicians and scientists throughout Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center to conduct large-scale translational research involving molecular characterization of patient tumor specimens in order to identify correlations between genomic features and clinical outcomes.
Working in a team, under the supervision of the group leader, you will provide support to clinical and translational research projects in the CMO utilizing MSK-ACCESS. The Bioinformatics Software Engineer will develop software to support leading-edge, large scale research efforts in the CMO including genomics, transcriptomics, and clinical data analysis and interpretation. Motivated by contributing meaningfully to present progress in cancer research driven by advances in computing and data, we are seeking a hardworking, highly skilled engineer with experience developing robust, enterprise-level contemporary software systems.
- Work and collaborate with a top-notch team of researchers, software engineers and clinicians to build a platform for streamlining and automating genomic data analysis.
- Implement and follow the standard methodologies in software development, code versioning, software testing and deployment and assists in unit/functional regression, and system testing.
- Take part in technical discussion including but not limited to code reviews, product design, and build/release management.
- Process and analyze data from high-throughput next-generation sequencing.
- Provide consultation and guidance to research scientists, as well as other bioinformatics and software engineers, at the Center.
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Able to manage many tasks and projects at once.
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex information, consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles.
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations.
- Committed to applying computing and data analysis for clinical benefit.
- Bachelor's Degree with 4-6 years of programming OR Master’s Degree with 2-4 years of experience.
- Experience with back-end programming languages, especially Python/Java/Scala.
- Experience with web frameworks like Flask, Django, or Spring.
- Experience with SQL/NoSQL databases like MySQL or MongoDB.
- Experience with UI design.
- Experience with Agile software development and participating in a Scrum team.
- Knowledge of sequencing data.
- Experience with containers, especially Docker.
- Experience with cloud computing, especially AWS.
- Familiarity with high performance computing clusters like LSF or SGE.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.