Director, Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)
LocationNew York, NY
DeptEnvironmental Health & Safety
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking a dynamic, experienced leader with a strong combination of technical knowledge and managerial skills encompassing environmental health and safety operations, planning, project management, and customer service. The ideal candidate will have superior professional standards and will be a hands-on operational leader who possess superb communication skills essential to work collaboratively and effectively across all levels of the organization. The ideal candidate is decisive, results oriented, adapts and learns quickly, exhibits a strong desire to continue to learn and to implement continuous improvements, and is committed to building on MSK’s culture of excellence.
The Director of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) is an experienced and hands-on leader. The EHS Director is responsible for the operational management of the following programs and EHS staff managing and implementing these programs: Laboratory/Research Safety, Biological Safety, Chemical Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, Ergonomics, Accident and Incident Prevention, Emergency Response, Dangerous Good Transportation, Hazardous Waste Management and Environmental Programs. This position will establish a strategic departmental operational plan with specific and measurable goals and monitor progress against this plan. The EHS Director will also serve as the point of contact with governmental safety and regulatory agencies on environmental, safety, and emergency response issues that affect MSK. This position will provide professional advice to organizational leadership, faculty, and staff on safety and regulatory issues affecting the organization’s instructional and research functions. This leadership role greatly contributes to building on MSK’s excellence.
- Provide leadership, direction, vision and support of comprehensive EHS programs throughout the organization, including laboratory and research safety, biological safety, chemical safety, industrial hygiene, ergonomics, occupational safety, accident and incident prevention, dangerous goods transportation, hazardous waste management and environmental compliance.
- Direct work of Program Managers, Specialists, and Safety Advisors to ensure all EHS staff implement programs and provide customer service consistent with departmental standards.
- Work with all EHS staff to develop performance goals, strategies, and metrics.
- Be responsible for the implementation of comprehensive emergency response programs including response to biological and chemical hazardous material incidents.
- Oversee the implementation of safety and compliance programs governed by OSHA, EPA, DOT, FDNY, and other federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Design, develop and maintain EHS programs and systems to enhance the EHS services provided throughout the MSK community.
- Effectively manage, monitor and guide the staff of these respective disciplines assuring that they are proactively safeguarding life and property against biological, chemical, and physical hazards through the use of professional skills, judgment, creativity and human interaction
- Serve on the Executive Council for Safety and the Environment and Chair the Committee of Hazardous Materials and Waste.
- Report directly to the Vice President, EHS to assure compliance with all applicable safety and environmental protection requirements by means of inspections, reports, institutional committee memberships, and instructional workshops and training programs.
- Assume the roles and responsibilities of the Vice President, EHS in his/her absence.
- A Master’s Degree in Safety, Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, or Environmental Compliance with more than 10 years of experience in the Environmental Health and Safety field with formal training in industry and institutional safety.
- Familiarity with environmental health and safety standards from CDC, NIH, OSHA, EPA, DOT and state/local regulatory agencies.
- Capability of working independently and as a team member to develop and implement programs with EHS staff and MSK departments.
- Ability to act decisively when responding to emergency situations.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing and managing position requirements including the ability to supervise and motivate staff and develop performance measures to maximize productivity and work quality.
- Highly service oriented with good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills including the ability to develop and deliver concise documentation, presentations and trainings. Ability to organize and lead effective meetings.
For more info on our Environmental Health & Safety Department, please take a look here:
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.