Biological Safety Officer
LocationNew York, NY
DeptEnvironmental Health & Safety
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
As one of the world's premier cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously strive to exceed and set industry standards as well as enhance the safety culture. EHS is responsible for enterprise-wide environmental health and safety services, including Fire and Life Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a proven leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
As a Biological Safety Officer, you will:
• Develop and implement a comprehensive biological safety program throughout all research, clinical, and service areas of Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) that meets National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Joint Commission, and Department of Health requirements. Program includes recombinant DNA (rDNA) and human/animal gene transfer; infectious agents and biologically-derived toxins; and human tissues, fluids, and cells/cell cultures.
• Serve as the Biological Safety Officer on the Institutional Biosafety Committee. Review and approve protocols involving the use of infectious agents and rDNA.
• Assist investigators and staff with all matters related to biosafety.
• Inspect laboratories and work practices and communicate findings to management.
• Investigate accidents and incidents involving biological agents and materials.
• Develop and conduct educational programs for employees to improve biological safety.
• Respond to hazardous material emergencies as part of the EHS Emergency Response Team to provide technical guidance and active support, and be available through an emergency call procedure for situations occurring both during and outside of regular working hours.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Virology, or related major.
• Certified Biological Safety Professional preferred.
• At least 4-7 years of experience in microbiology, infectious disease and molecular biology (recombinant DNA).
• Knowledge of containment standards and engineering.
• Familiarity with environmental health and safety standards from CDC, NIH, OSHA, EPA, DOT, DOH, Joint Commission and state/local regulatory agencies.
• The capability of working independently and as a team member to develop and implement programs with EHS staff and MSK departments.
• Ability to act decisively when responding to emergency situations.
• Knowledge of federal, state and city regulations pertaining to health and safety.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to influence effectively at all levels within the organization.
• Demonstrated initiative and analytical problem-solving skills - ability to use and interpret data to drive decision making.
• Computer skills including Microsoft Office suite of products.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.