Infrastructure Engineer (Server Deployment Team)
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Information Services team is looking for an Infrastructure Deployment Engineer to join a collaborative server deployment team for Memorial Sloan Kettering’s enterprise datacenter. We will provide the right person with an opportunity to deploy enterprise-class Microsoft, UNIX and VMware platforms using the latest HP, Cisco and DELL server hardware, allowing us to provide highly-available solutions that meet our organizational requirements. Some of the daily responsibilities include physical and virtual server deployments and retirements, server racking and stacking, technical support, project-driven implementations in order to maintain a stable and resilient environment.
- Plan, deploy, configure, document and resolve issues relating to server deployments and server automation in highly available configurations using enterprise-class HP, Cisco, Dell PowerEdge, VMware, Microsoft and Unix platforms.
- Demonstrate enterprise-level expertise in Microsoft Server 2008 and 2012 as well as RHEL or SUSE Linux for physical and virtual platforms.
- Install, configure, troubleshoot and maintain server-based applications running on the servers including MS Clusters, Anti-Virus, Host Intrusion Prevention, Microsoft IIS, Apache, PHP, etc.
- Increase reliability and enhance efficiencies by implementing 3rd party tools and scripts for server deployment automation.
- Create and maintain gold standard operating system images.
- Coordinate and work with outside vendors to resolve problems and issues with hardware and software as it relates to server deployment and automation.
- Ensure compliance to security standards, policies and guidelines across the server infrastructure are met.
- Accurately report progress of assigned tasks, meet commitments and project due dates, effective planning and foresight to mitigate potential delays
- Identify areas where existing policies, procedures, or configurations require change or where new ones need to be developed.
- Assist team architects in the evaluation of new products, solutions, and services.
- Assist the server applications and server management teams in establishing, maintaining, continuously improving, and sharing server deployment standards, solutions, and support procedures to aid overall stability, reliability, agility, security, and recoverability of these systems and services.
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding.
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations.
- Bachelor degree in Computer science or related area experience in a networked technology environment with 4 years related IT experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2012, Red Hat/SUSE Linux, Microsoft IIS, Microsoft Clustering solutions.
- Proven knowledge with Windows and Linux Servers, Server Operations and Server applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge with Server automation product such as BMC Blade Logic, HP Rapid deployment, SCCM or Puppet.
- Proven knowledge with both physical and virtualized servers, especially VMWare.
- Demonstrated knowledge with TCP/IP, DNS and DHCP protocols.
- Skilled in Server hardware troubleshooting and configuration.
- Deep understanding of networking and SAN/NAS technologies and concepts.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Excellent verbal/written interpersonal, presentation, and customer service skills.
- Proficient in core client applications necessary to communicate and document (MS Office, Visio).
Nice to Have:
- HP, VMware, Microsoft MCSE certifications
- Experience with Cisco UCS servers
- Good scripting and programming skills (PowerShell / PowerCLI)
- Lead projects and enterprise class deployments of HP, Cisco or DELL Hardware and other similar technologies
- Knowledge of team-adjacent applications such as AD, DNS, SQL, SharePoint, XenApp, Avamar, NetBackup, etc.
Application Hiring Process
With a clinical and support staff of nearly 200, MSK Monmouth offers the same diagnostic and treatment capabilities that patients receive in Manhattan and at our other regional sites. The center provides a centralized location for many of MSK’s information technology needs and will eventually be home to more than 100 employees.