Genetic Analysis Specialist
LocationNew York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
In the Diagnostic Molecular Genetics Laboratory at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center we perform DNA sequencing to evaluate and diagnose inherited cancer susceptibilities.
At this time, we are seeking a Genetic Analysis Specialist to join our team. In this position you will be responsible for identifying and classifying variants/mutations detected through molecular genetic testing performed on our Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS), Sanger Sequencing and MLPA platforms. You will work closely with Molecular Pathologists, Geneticists, Bioinformaticians and our Clinical Laboratory Team to interpret sequence variants and to help draft clinical reports for patients who are undergoing testing.
As a Genetic Analysis Specialist, you will:
- Review clinical sequencing data output and assist in identifying sequencing artifacts.
- Utilize public databases and in-silico tools to determine the impact of the variant on protein function.
- Review scientific literature to identify and curate the functional outcomes of variants at the population level.
- Assist in classifying variants to different pathogenicity levels based on prior information and ACMG Guidelines.
- Assist in drafting accurate and meaningful clinical reports for our patients.
- Collaborate with our Clinical Bioinformatics team to incorporate improved algorithms and databases into existing clinical analyses pipelines.
- Provide valuable scientific insight to the Laboratory Director and Clinical Development Team towards the validation of new assays.
- Work with our MSK Clinical Genetics Service as a knowledgeable resource for variant classification between our services.
- Maintain detailed clinical records of all analyses and curation work.
- Track specimen information, experimental parameters and clinical pipeline results.
- Collaborate on special projects as well as new and ongoing clinical research studies designed by the Lab Director and clinical team.
- Strong analytical and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Minimum 1-3 years of prior experience classifying human germline genetic variants from Next-Generation sequencing (NGS), Sanger sequencing and MLPA (Deletion/Duplication) data.
- Master’s Degree (Genetic Counseling, Molecular Biology, Genetics) or PhD (Human Genetics/Genetics, Cancer Biology/Molecular Biology).
- Familiarity with electronic germline genetic databases related to Sanger Sequencing and Next-generation sequencing.
- Clinical experience in cancer genetics and a strong background in Human Genetics preferred.
- Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.