LocationNew York, NY
DeptAllied Health - Biomedical Engineering
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you an experienced Computer Scientist, Physicist, Engineer, or Applied Mathematician?
Can you drive a group of quantitative scientists in Cancer Research?
Are you a strong computational person?
Do you want to learn about and deeply impact the future of cancer research, medicine, and health care?
The Precision Pathology Biobanking Center (PPBC) is a newly established Research Center at MSK and its Department of Pathology.
Using complex real-world structured, text, and image data, Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) has collected over the past 20+ years, the Scientist will develop and implement advanced computational methods to power the PPBC’s efforts to build a best-in-class analytics platform for healthcare data. The development and implementation of cutting-edge computational Big Data Analytics represents a major strategic priority for the Center. This recruitment seeks to expand this expertise within the Center.
The right candidate will have a track record of developing new quantitative methods such as Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), or Natural Language Processing (NLP) and apply them to complex problems in medicine. To that end, the Computational Scientist will actively chip in to the research community through collaborations with academic partners, publishing in peer-reviewed journals, and attending top-tier conferences.
This position is a leadership position in computational science and will develop, oversee, and implement a comprehensive computational strategy for the Center in addition to leading a team of computational specialists.
- Performs software development, programming, and support for the PPBC
- Interest in Natural Language Processing, AI, Machine and Deep Learning
- Develops, maintains, and expands functionality of existing and to be developed biobank database systems
- Works closely with other IT groups throughout MSKCC on development and federation of database systems
- Installs necessary and relevant software. Knows the latest with new software versions, patches and security
- Builds tools for real-time federation to other databases at MSKCC
- Stays current with general bioinformatics tools and installs/runs tools as needed (genomics, proteomics, other bioinformatics tools)
- Works to develop web-based visualizations of PPBC data
- Collects use scenarios and functionality requirements for biobank specimen acquisition, database entry, specimen storage and annotation, and automated retrieval
- Develops an attractive web presence for the PPBC and real-time data display (“dashboard”) of relevant biobank data
- Collaborates with the clinical pathology team on interoperability and data flow between clinical LIMS (CoPath) and research databases
- Works with Linux systems administrator to configure new and existing software packages for security, performance and maintainability
- Performs database integrity checks and prepares the PPBC informatics pipeline for clinical certification (CAP, CLIA)
- Sets up technical evaluation studies for the optimization of database schemas and SQL queries
- Writes scripts to monitor database back-ups and archiving when appropriate
- Bachelor’s Degree with 2-4 years in computer science or related field. Master’s or PhD with 0-2 years experience preferred
- Background in biology, medicine, biochemistry, etc. very desirable
- Proven background in programming, configuring, and implementing database systems required
- Experience with bioinformatics algorithms and software tools very desirable; writing and modifying code
- Prior experience with biobank database systems preferred (e.g., caTissue Suite, other open source software or commercial, such as Freezerworks)
- Experience with web programming and data visualization on websites
- Experience with health data exchange standards (HL7) preferred
- Experience with building, configuring, running, and maintaining Linux servers preferred
- High-performance computing experience preferred
- Solid experience with programming, modifying, customizing, and querying database systems (Oracle, SAP)
- Experience with data federation between different database systems
- Experience with production systems and building data warehouse products and reporting systems desirable
- Paid time off including vacation, bereavement, sick leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive medical, dental & vision, FSA and dependent care
- Life Insurance and Disability Benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- 403(b) retirement savings plan match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Commuter spending account
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.