Bioinformatics Software Engineer - Python/Java/Ruby
LocationNew York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you passionate about the challenge to cure Cancer? Did you know that you can apply your technical skills to support our mission here?
The Clinical Bioinformatics group within the department of Pathology specializes in analyzing next-generation sequencing data to characterize the spectrum of genetic mutations in patient tumors. Analysis of this genomic data is guiding treatment decisions and the enrollment of patients onto clinical trials of novel targeted therapies.
The clinical data at our group has rapidly grown from 40TB to a private cloud of 2PB, and is managed by over a dozen production servers that facilitate automatic processing of terabytes of data per day, high-end intensive and slick cutting edge visualization portals, and increasingly challenging genomic databases. Clinical bioinformatics group is revolutionizing the health level exchange systems to integrate genomic and biomedical systems.
We are looking for a talented and self-driven bioinformatics software engineer to help us to continue being the pioneer next generation sequencing based clinical software systems. As a Bioinformatics Software Engineer, you will work in a highly collaborative environment, engineering bleeding edge clinical and research software systems that directly impact the patient care and will be responsible for building the next-generation informatics systems revolutionizing the cancer care and diagnosis. You will also participate in developing high throughput data processing, petabyte scale data management, microservices oriented RESTful APIs, genomic and analytic portals, department-wide messaging/queuing system, and socket-based TCP/IP servers. We believe that this is an exciting role for someone who has the right background to be apart of our dynamic team. We can provide you with the opportunity to make a difference with your career.
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric products
- Able to work effectively in a fast paced changing environment solving for complex problems, and consistently achieves results, even under tough situations
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations.
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding.
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around problems.
- Take part in the developing cutting-edge software systems for clinical diagnostics and to support existing clinical bioinformatics software.
- Design, develop, and extend/maintain clinical bioinformatics automation pipelines, and our petabyte scale data management system.
- Develop and maintain reporting/review portals which host results (from petabyte scale data pipelines) and work with in-house developed and public cloud solutions, a versatile full-stack software engineer.
- Implement and follow the best practices in software development, code versioning, software testing, and deployment. Takes part in technical discussions including but not limited to code reviews, and build/release management.
- Develop/Maintain clinical bioinformatics databases using MySQL, and MongoDB. Willing to learn and implement efficient database design methodologies.
- Work with UNIX systems administrator to configure new and existing software packages for security, performance and maintainability.
- Develop and maintains software systems that interface with other departmental and/or institutional systems through RESTful APIs.
- Participate in design, development, and testing of additional internal and/or department-wide informatics systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 4-6 years of software engineering experience. Master’s Degree with 2-4 years of experience preferred.
- Next generation sequencing and cancer genetics experience preferred but not required.
- Experience with building front end data visualization portals, high volume data processing, messaging queues, and enterprise search engines is desirable
- Paid time off including vacation, bereavement, sick leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive medical, dental & vision, FSA and dependent care
- Life Insurance and Disability Benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- 403(b) retirement savings plan match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Commuter spending account
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.