Virtualization Infrastructure Engineer II
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Information Services team is looking for an Virtualization Infrastructure Engineer II to join a collaborative server infrastructure team for Memorial Sloan Kettering’s enterprise datacenter. The position provides the opportunity to manage enterprise-class VMware and Microsoft platforms using the latest HP and Cisco server hardware, allowing us to provide highly-available solutions that meet our organizational requirements. Responsibilities include day-to-day technical support, proactive performance monitoring, project-driven implementations, and capacity planning, in order to maintain a stable, resilient environment. Working together to evaluate new and emerging technologies, development of standards and procedures, and leading or assisting projects across platform teams, such as upgrades, migrations, or creating new environments to support business applications. Mentoring of other administrators as well as assisting design architects will be required as well to keep the group’s knowledge level balanced.
- Demonstrate enterprise-level expertise in VMware infrastructure technologies and methodologies to include but not limited to, vSphere, vCenter, vSAN, vROPS, performance tuning, capacity planning, and issue diagnosis.
- Demonstrate enterprise-level expertise in server hardware knowledge and hands-on experience, especially with Cisco UCS B and C Series Servers, Fabric Interconnects, UCS Central and UCS Manager as well as firmware/driver relationships.
- Demonstrate expertise in operating systems for virtual platforms.
- Provide level 3 technical support for complex infrastructure issues.
- Possess a broad understanding of networking and SAN technologies and concepts.
- Proactively identify system deficiencies and performance bottlenecks by generating system metrics and reports; suggest and execute corrective changes
- Identify areas where existing policies, procedures, or configurations require change or where new ones need to be developed
- Review critical customer platform advisories, assess their potential impact to our existing infrastructure, and suggest steps to remediate
- Assist team architects in the evaluation of new products, solutions, and services
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team setting, and with a high level of attention to detail.
- Effectively communicate technical topics with other IT foundational groups, product vendors, management, and stakeholders.
- Ability to manage several project simultaneously and prioritize tasks accordingly
- Accurately report progress of assigned tasks; meet commitments and project due dates; effective planning and foresight to mitigate potential delays
- Required to participate in rotating 24x7 on-call schedule as level 3 escalation point.
- Work occasional non-business hours in support of infrastructure and application maintenance (outages, upgrades, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or 6 to 8 years of related IT experience
- Excellent verbal / written interpersonal, presentation, and customer service skills
- Proficient in core client applications necessary to communicate and document (MS Office, Visio)
- HP, VMware, Microsoft MCSE certifications
- Good scripting and programming skills (PowerShell / PowerCLI)
- Knowledge of team-adjacent applications such as AD, DNS, SQL, SharePoint, IIS, XenApp, Avamar, etc.
Application Hiring Process
With a clinical and support staff of nearly 200, MSK Monmouth offers the same diagnostic and treatment capabilities that patients receive in Manhattan and at our other regional sites. The center provides a centralized location for many of MSK’s information technology needs and will eventually be home to more than 100 employees.