LocationNew York, NY
DeptResearch - Laboratory
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you looking to join a creative lab? As a Research Technician you will perform research activities in collaboration with internal/external personnel to complete science-based projects. You will normally receive detailed instructions while making observations, analyzing data and interpreting results according to laboratory procedures. Our Research Technician will provide support to all technical/research staff and postdocs.
The major goal of my laboratory is to understand how critical transcription factors mediate prostate cancer oncogenesis. Prostate cancers uniquely harbor very few mutations in well-known driver oncogenes (e.g., RAS, BRAF, etc.). Instead, they are characterized by aberrations in transcription factors, including the androgen receptor (AR) and ETS family transcription factors. These oncogenic transcription factors regulate a transcriptional program that determines cellular lineage, specifies the responses to external stimuli, and contributes to the oncogenic cellular context in prostate cancer. Our long-term goal is to generate an integrative understanding of how transcription factors normally guide the prostate lineage determination and how their deregulation leads to cancer. In addition, using biochemistry and genetic screens, we are pursuing ways to target the activity of these transcription factors that can lead to drug discovery.
- An effective communicator, capable of resolving how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet dedications with a keen eye for detail
- Eager to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Prepares laboratory instruments, solutions, stains, assays and other supplies as instructed for research experiments.
- Work may involve culture and/or cell separation methods; electrophoretic separations: assays (e.g., RIA, TIA, ELISA); basic biology or other specialized science techniques depending on the lab.
- Operates lab equipment such as centrifuges, pH meters, analytical balancers, scintillation counters, spectrophotometers, light microscopes and other equipment as instructed.
- May be involved in animal handling requiring injection of animals, collection/harvesting of tissues, fluids; animal autopsies in order to make chemical identification and conduct analyses.
- Respond to and completes tasks as instructed by the P.I. and staff associated with designated research projects by carrying out the requested activities.
- Provides assistance with other ongoing research for peers and research personnel in the laboratory by completing tasks related to the projects within the deadline specified.
- Performs necessary analysis and calculations, records data and writes reports on research findings.
- Responds to and produces reports comprising of the requested statistics for the study as requested by the laboratory head and members of the research team.
- Responsible for purchasing equipment and materials for the laboratory.
- Have no issues working on mice or mousing handling
- Bachelors Degree in Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, etc.) with significant laboratory experience.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.