Supervisor, Catering & Hospitality Services
LocationNew York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We have an exciting opportunity to join MSK working with our Executive Chef as Supervisor of Catering & Hospitality Services at Main Campus - 1275 York Ave. In this position, you will supervise and coordinate the following: organize and maintain catering event schedule, schedule and assign staff, meet with clients, craft menus and proposals¸ and work closely with Culinary, Purchasing and Conference Planning Teams. Additionally you will, ensure accurate and timely billing, place orders for rental, bakery, staffing and event decor needs. Our goal is to ensure client happiness through excellent service, timely response and follow through of commitments made.
- Directs and supervises activities of staff
- Hires, orients, trains, disciplines, evaluate the performance of staff. Provides mentorship, feedback, and opportunities for development, as appropriate.
- Prepares staff schedules and resolves daily and routine staffing problems; assigns breaks.
- Prepares daily assignment sheets for cook and Hospitality Associates; adjust assignment sheets and/or delegate work responsibilities to respond to special/emergency requests.
- Prioritizes routine activities and assigns/delegates work; anticipates impact of special/emergency requests and notifies Manager accordingly.
- Provides technical guidance to staff to ensure that problems are resolved and work assignments can be completed within established time frames; intercedes to resolve problems/reports problems to Manager.
- Completes detail plan, worksheet, and food/supply order form with required information for each special function.
- Prepares itemized bill for each function. Reviews charges for Special Functions with cost center administration as requested.
- Crafts menus and develops proposals for specific events in consultation with requestor to meet the needs and function of the event.
- Ensures menus are costed out and priced according to established departmental food & beverage cost targets
- Coordinates food production and ancillary services for Special Function events
- Ensures the food, supplies, rentals, flowers, linens, equipment and staff required for each event are obtained and available when needed.
- Communicates, reviews, and coordinates work assignments, labor needs and required assistance with appropriate Food and Nutrition Service management staff, production personnel, and other departments including Conference Planning and Building Services.
- Minimum 2-4 years’ experience in Food & Beverage
- Preferred: Associate Degree in Food Service / Hospitality / Catering Sales / Culinary Arts preferred
- Special skills and abilities: Event Coordinator/Management, Restaurant Experience, Database Management, Sales & Menu Planning Experience
Availability: full time; open availability required including weekends & holidays
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.