Animal Care Associate
LocationNew York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Do you have a superb work ethic and an interest or degree in Animal Science? Do you care about animal welfare?
At MSK, we believe healthy animals equals good research.
We are looking for Animal Care Tech Associates passionate about working hard and gaining certifications to expand your career in animal husbandry.
The Research Animal Resource Center (RARC) provides staff and facilities to affect the humane care and use of animals used in research and teaching at MSKCC. It's goal is to provide the highest-quality care to the animals in their charge in order to improve the research conducted using animal models at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Our Animal Care Technician deliver direct animal care and maintenance of animal caging equipment.
In this position, we expect that you will follow through on all duties as assigned:
- Process unclean caging and equipment in preparation for sanitization
- Assemble caging for use by other Animal Care Technicians
- Operate and maintain automated cage wash equipment and sterilizers
- Prepare acidified water bottles using an automated bottle filler and proportioner
- Receive, transport, process, store and label animal feed and bedding
- Disassemble, wash, and reassemble ventilated Thoren units
- Handle and provide husbandry to various species of animals
- Perform health checks and perform environmental monitoring and cleaning
Does your experience appear to be a fit?
- A High school diploma or GED
- 1 year of experience in animal care
- The ability to lift and carry up to 55 lbs regularly. Frequent standing, grasping and holding items, reaching above shoulder; pulling pushing of heavy items; some regular crouching and kneeling.
- Understand the basics of animal health and disease, the procedures required to clean/sterilize caging, and is familiar with the use and operation of equipment required for laboratory animal housing and care.
Employee will be exposed to dust, dirt, unpleasant odors, laboratory animals, animal excreta, hot and humid surroundings. Potential exposure to animal bites and scratches, needles and other sharp instruments, infectious agents, radioisotopes, toxic chemicals, and radiation. Protective equipment including uniforms, steel toed shoes, masks, aprons, gloves, and head covers are provided and required for specific activities. Hours may vary between 6am-8pm. Work assignments may include weekends and holidays.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.