At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Linux Administrator is responsible for helping to architect, as well as implement, administer and manage the various heterogeneous UNIX/Linux technologies deployed in the organization. Responsibilities also include project leadership across technical platforms and departmental boundaries, as well as systems maintenance and performance management.
- Develop and/or recommend solutions for system architecture design across heterogeneous vendor platforms (e.g Cisco UCS, HP, IBM, Redhat Linux, et cetera).
- Responsible for the systems analysis of business requests and the preparation of Functional Specifications and Design Documents.
- Responsible for all UNIX/Linux systems platforms, middleware, and interface specifications, implementation and documentation of same.
- Responsible for creating and documenting system integration, operational documentation, test plan design and coordination.
- Install UNIX/Linux operating systems and related software products (e.g. Connectivity tools, monitors, job schedulers, system utilities, compilers, et cetera)
- Develop and maintain scripts to support the operational aspects of the UNIX/Linux systems infrastructure.
- Support, maintain and develop interfaces using encryption technologies when needed for automation of secured file transfers.
- Evaluate, test and implement new techniques and applications for secured file transfers using industry best-practices.
- Collect and analyze system dumps, traces, logs, et cetera to determine the root cause of a problem and recommend a solution to avoid similar future outages.
- Interface with vendors, and end-users for problem diagnostics and resolution.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, enhancing, and documenting UNIX system boot and recovery plans and procedures required in the event of a system/DBMS/Application outage.
- Implement, test, and maintain the High Availability and hardware configuration and scripting.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, enhancing, and documenting UNIX system and data security plans and procedures required to protect the intellectual property and privacy of the Hospital information. The data protection must adhere to the HIPAA compliancy specifications.
- Perform regularly scheduled testing of the disaster recovery plans and procedures for all UNIX/Linux platforms.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, enhancing and documenting the plans and procedures for capturing and analyzing the capacity and trends of system resource performance and utilization across the various UNIX systems components (i.e. CPU, I/O, and memory, and Storage).
- Lead in the evaluation and introduction of emerging technology solutions and techniques.
- Evaluate vendor products and/or solutions to address the business needs of the Hospital.
- Participate in the appropriate industry conferences and seminars to maintain excellent “leading edge” technical skills.
- Create/maintain contacts within the healthcare industry to gather knowledge of best practices experience relating to current and emerging technologies.
- A self-starter who wants to enhance their knowledge of new technologies and grow with a leading, world renowned cancer center.
- An excellent communicator and team player.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM field
- 2-10 years’ experience in a technical role
- Working knowledge of deployment and management of virtual systems and installation and configuration of common services
- Working Knowledge with RedHat Linux
- RHCE or RHCSA certification would be a plus
- Satellite Server management and configuration
Application Hiring Process
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.