Dosimetrist/Radiotherapy Physicist (All Locations)
LocationNew York, NY
DeptAllied Health - Medical Physics and Radiation Therapy
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking a Dosimetrist or Radiotherapy Physicist to join the team in the Department of Medical Physics. Under the supervision of the Chief Radiotherapy Physicist, the incumbent will provide treatment planning support for patients receiving external beam radiotherapy.
- Knowledgeable about business and the marketplace and able to apply this knowledge to advance the organization's goals.
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information.
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Adept at creating partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- Provides radiation physics support related to graphical planing and dose calculation for Radiation Oncology patients campus-wide. Obtains, interprets, and uses patient-specific information necessary for treatment planning including the physician’s prescription indicating the part of body to be treated and the dose to be delivered. Consults with radiation oncologists and therapists as needed throughout planning process.
- Radiation Therapy Simulation and Treatment Delivery: Advises and interprets pertinent information obtained during simulation. At treatment delivery, ensures correct implementation of radiation treatment plans.
- Performs all appropriate duties relating to initial and weekly chart checks completely and accurately, according to departmental policy and procedures. Participates in quality assurance procedures, including review of dose calculations, documentation and patient records consistent with established guidelines.
- Teaches and demonstrates principles of treatment planning, treatment planning systems and departmental policies and procedures to junior staff, post-doctoral fellows and others as directed.
- Prepares and gives talks/lectures/case presentations and participates in departmental staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
- Attends professional association/society workshops and lectures to further develop professional skills. Attends departmental staff meetings and in-service training as directed. Assists senior radiotherapy physicists in the testing of new procedures and treatment techniques. This may include seeking out learning experiences that stretch and build capabilities by requesting new assignments (i.e., testing computer software, and evaluating new commercial products).
- Treats those individuals (e.g., patient/family, client, Center employee) who depend on the quality, accuracy and timeliness of the work as unique individuals in a respectful, courteous manner, and focuses on understanding and meeting their needs.
- Dosimetrist: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (physics or physical science preferred).
- Radiotherapy Physicist: Master’s degree (medical physics)
- A minimum of 1.5 years of experience as a dosimetrist or physicist is preferred
- The ability to problem solve and resolve clinical or machine related issues, as well as perform mathematical calculations and strong understanding of the principles of physics is required. A knowledge of computers and the ability to calibrate physical standards for radiation dosimetry is essential
Periodic travel to all MSK facilities as required.
Hours vary between 7am and 11pm, Monday-Friday, with flexibility as needed.
Application Hiring Process
New York, NY
At MSK, we are committed to providing exceptional patient care that is as convenient as possible. Each of our facilities serves a purpose and is strategically built to support a larger community, including our employees.