Job Posting Number: 22244
New York, NY
October 11, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking a Software Engineer to join the Precision Oncology Team in the Division of Health Informatics (DHI). DHI focuses on the interaction of people, processes, and technology to support the extraordinary patient care delivered at MSK. We lead a suite of clinical information systems including the electronic health record, ancillary systems and tools that enable decision support, health information exchange and knowledge management.
The Department of Pathology consists of disease-specific pathologists, molecular diagnosticians, and researchers with expertise in a range of solid tumor types as well as hematopathology. Our pathologists collaborate with other specialists to customize each patient’s treatment based on his or her individual diagnosis. Molecular pathology and precision medicine are increasingly vital components of patient care at MSK.
DHI’s Precision Oncology Team collaborates closely with the Department of Pathology and other DHI teams to bring results from various lab assays, genomics and proteomics to clinical and research systems. As a Bioinformatics Software Engineer on the Precision Oncology Team, you will play a meaningful role in extracting data from clinical systems to guide precision cancer treatment and to speed up the process of cancer research.
- Work and collaborate with a world-class team of machine learning experts, software engineers and medical doctors to build a new platform for clinical data dissemination;
- Be responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation;
- Provide consultation and guidance to clinicians and research scientists, as well as other bioinformatics and software engineers, at the Center.
- Take part in the developing cutting-edge software systems for clinical research and diagnostics and to support existing clinical bioinformatics software.
- Implement and follow the standard methodologies in software development, code versioning, software testing, and deployment.
- Develop and maintain clinical bioinformatics databases which uses MySQL or Postgres or MongoDB, GraphDB, and hybrid technologies. Be willing to learn and implement efficient database design methodologies.
- Take part in technical discussions including but not limited to code reviews, and build/release management.
- Work with UNIX systems administrator to configure new and existing software packages for security, performance and maintainability.
- Participate in building proper production, development, and integration environments and assists in unit/functional, regression, and system testing.
- Develop and maintain software systems that work with other departmental and/or institutional systems through RESTful APIs, web interfaces, and socket based client/servers.
- Participate in designing and developing department-wide messaging queue, enterprise search platforms, and other enterprise-level informatics systems.
- Able to design and develop the full stack: both front and back-end of application development
- Experienced with creating and implementing RESTful APIs and web application architecture.
- Able to design and develop software and databases as part of biomedical informatics data storage, visualization, processing, and analysis systems
- Able to consider good user interface design practices as you develop a UI.
- Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
- An effective communicator, capable of figuring out how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Bachelor’s Degree with 0-2 years of full stack development experience. Master’s preferred.
- Next generation sequencing, proteomics and cancer genetics familiarity preferred but not required.
- Experience with building front end data visualization portals, data processing, messaging queues, and enterprise search engines is desirable
- Cross-disciplinary and strong analytical skills as well as broad experience using computational methods, databases, software and hardware.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.