Administrative Assistant, Sloan Kettering Institute
Job Posting Number: 26192
New York, NY
October 31, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
In more than 100 laboratories, our scientists are conducting innovative research to advance understanding in the biological sciences and improve human health. The SKI Staff includes 400 research fellows, and 200 graduate students (both PhDs and MD/PhDs). SKI boasts many National Academy of Sciences members and Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigators.
As a member of the SKI Administration team, this role provides administrative support to two SKI research program coordinators and the Administrative Manager as well as back-up support to others in the group in an office located within a research laboratory environment. The successful candidate will be adept at developing constructive working relationships with colleagues throughout the institution and will present a professional demeanor at all times. Flexibility to adapt to new projects as required for the support of the group and prioritization of tasks is critical.
- Perform routine administrative activities to maintain the smooth operation of the office including answering and directing calls, schedule meetings and maintain calendars and answer email inquiries in a timely manner.
- Greet and escort visitors
- Maintain office files and document organization
- Prepare travel, financial and HR-related paperwork
- Order and maintain office supplies
- Update websites and documentation.
- Plan and oversee seminars, receptions and events
- Proofread and edit text, creating accurate and legible documents including flyers and agendas for speakers
- Track and input information in Filemaker databases.
- A planner and an organizer with a keen attention to detail
- A great communicator
- A professional who possesses the ability to work well with people of many different backgrounds and temperament
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, 2 years’ experience
- Excellent communication skills, flexibility, discretion, organization, initiative, and judgement
- Ability to work proactively and independently is necessary, as is the ability to track and follow-through on projects
- Careful attention to detail, ability to multitask, and strong interpersonal skills
- previous work experience in an academic or healthcare environment is a plus
- Experience with both PC and Mac software is strongly preferred and familiarity with FileMaker databases is a plus.
Hours: 8 am – 4 pm
Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and explaining your interest in the position.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.