User Experience Engineer, Clinical Systems
Job Posting Number: 24854
New York, NY
January 8, 2019
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you passionate about HCI?
Well, look no further we have an exciting opportunity at MSK. Not many are aware of the impact we are making in the information technology field. We would love to have the opportunity to elaborate on the groundbreaking work with you and what you could bring to our team of innovators.
The Division of Health Informatics at MSK runs a suite of clinical information systems used across the enterprise, including the electronic health record, ancillary clinical systems, and tools that enable decision support, health information exchange, and knowledge management. While highly technical in our approach, our work is multidisciplinary and goes beyond the tech to understand the people who use it and the processes affected by its implementation. We aim to empower our clinicians and patients with tools that support the best outcomes, and to collect and generate rich clinical data for our researchers to forge new territories in precision oncology. We use the scientific method to validate that the work we are doing is truly impactful, and we examine the costs and benefits of each intervention to measure value and prioritize future initiatives.
Within the Division, we have a small, agile Innovation team that studies technology trends in healthcare and beyond, and identifies areas where new tech can improve the cancer care we deliver. We analyze existing workflows, find gaps and areas for improvement, and then prototype, develop and deploy novel technologies for use by our clinicians and our patients.
We are recruiting a Clinical Systems User Experience Engineer, who will apply user-centered design/human-computer interaction principles to the optimization and a development of clinical information systems-based tools that support high quality and efficient clinical care at MSK.
What can you expect in the day-to-day of this position?
As an integral member of the Health Informatics Innovation Team, you will:
- Discover opportunities to optimize existing clinical information systems and workflow, through field observations and engagements with clinicians, including user group meetings and workshops
- Incubate and refine novel clinical informatics tools, including helping to stand up a Health Informatics Innovation Laboratory, working with software developers to prototype new tools and solutions, and conducting usability evaluations with clinicians and/or patients and providing evidence-based recommendations based on their results
- Collaborate with colleagues from a variety of disciplines on work including system optimization/design/development, application for research grants, conducting external collaborative work with industry and academic partners
- Continue personal professional development through participation in outside workshops, seminars, conferences, symposia etc.
- An individual with strong analytical aptitude and a desire to continually learn and innovate.
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Motivated by the idea of improving the lives of patients with cancer and supporting the work for those who provide their care.
Is your experience a match?
- Master’s degree (required) or PhD (preferred) level training in Human Computer Interaction, or similar field (Informatics, Computer Science, Engineering, Behavioral Science – if applied to Clinical Systems)
- Experience designing, optimizing, and evaluating information systems with complex interfaces that support complex workflow
- Formal training in qualitative and quantitative research methods used to evaluate aspects of the socio-technical used in clinical care, both in the laboratory/simulated environment and in real clinical settings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Nice To have:
- Significant experience working in a hospital or other healthcare setting
- Experience and interest in technology transfer opportunities to partner with industry and/or commercialize innovation products
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.