Job Posting Number: 24288
New York, NY
August 10, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Plant Mechanic performs a variety of general, mechanical, and preventive maintenance as well as inspections, servicing, and overhaul of equipment and all components thereof in the hospital and all other facilities.
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Action-oriented and eager to accept new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information.
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances.
- Perform maintenance, repair, replacement, overhaul, modification and installation of various mechanical equipment (e.g., air compressors, sewer ejectors, vacuum and distribution pumps, etc.), HVAC systems and components (e.g., ducts, coils, fans, etc.), mechanical piping (e.g., steam stations, chilled water, standpipe and fire sprinkler, etc.) as required.
- Respond to customer questions or requests demonstrating courteous and professional customer service.
- Maintain a clean, orderly and secure work environment. Ensure proper care and use of tools, equipment, supplies and materials.
- Maintain departmental records, reports and files as required. Documents time worked, work order status, and supplies needed for each assignment
- High school, vocational trade school or equivalent
- Required: New York City Fire Department Certificate of Fitness. F-60 & G-60.
- Required: knowledge of micrometers, calipers, feeler gauges, dial indicators and depth gauges.
- Sufficient knowledge to handle assignments of routine and non-routine difficulty with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English.
- Ability to operate arc and gas welding and cutting equipment; a bonus but not required
- Proficient in rigging piping. Equipment using chain and rope falls, slings, cables, and jacks; Experience using hand and power tools such as drills, saws, grinders, threading machines and polishers.
- Ability to interpret and read diagrams, sketches, operating and maintenance manuals and manufacturer’s specifications.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.