Job Posting Number: 24251
New York, NY
July 27, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you motivated by advances in computing and data?
Passionate about making a meaningful contribution to contemporary progress in cancer research? Then join us here at MSK, where we can provide you with the opportunity to make a difference with your career in IT. We believe that this is an exciting role for someone who has the right background to be apart of our dynamic team and who wants to apply their skills to support our mission here.
We are seeking a Database Analyst to join the Computational Oncology Program in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at MSK.
This position requires you to work in close collaboration with researchers and software engineers. You will be responsible for managing data from leading edge, large scale research efforts in computational biology including genomics, imaging and clinical data analysis and interpretation.
You will act as:
- The main liaison for all data requests from researchers and collaborators
- Close collaborator with the software engineer team to build data management solutions
- A mentor to those who wish to use this solution
Ultimately, you are responsible for the correctness and completeness of all data within the group. You will oversee and ensure the delivery of data results, taking action to ensure analysis projects stay on track.
Additionally, you will also drive assigned projects and ensure the delivery of results; identify, develop, and gather resources to complete the project plan, organize and lead meeting with stakeholders throughout the project life cycle; design and implement a plan for completing projects to deliver results, manage priorities and resource allocation, monitor progress and performance against the project plan and take action to ensure projects stay on track.
Are you able to handle the day-to-day responsibilities?
- Manage data from high-throughput next-generation sequencing
- Contribute to the design of databases as part of bioinformatics data processing and analysis systems
- In charge of data entry and validation, and resolving missing and conflicting data entries
- Communicate with stakeholders of the data and upon request, conduct data query tracking and resolution
- Train researchers in the use of computational and bioinformatics database solutions and developing training module
- Plan, organize and lead meetings throughout the analysis project life cycle
- Handle priorities and resource allocation, monitor progress and take action
- Able to hold yourself and others accountable in order to achieve goals and live up to commitments
- A good decision-maker, with shown success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- An effective communicator, capable of resolving how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situation
Does your experience look like a potential fit?
- At least 3 years of relevant experience with bioinformatics lab information management systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a Healthcare-related field (or equivalent experience), Master’s degree is preferred
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Python, database queries, and Office Products
- To be thorough, detail-oriented, highly organized and able to perform with a high level of accuracy
- Next generation sequencing, proteomics and cancer genetics familiarity preferred but not required.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.