Job Posting Number: 21929
New York, NY
November 8, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
HOURS: Tuesday – Friday, 9am-5pm and Saturday, 8am – 4pm
Main Function: To log incoming specimens which arrive to the Specimen Receiving Area of the Molecular Pathology Laboratory into the pathology computer network; assist in the maintenance of quality control for reports and all data entry pertaining to patients’ records. Preparing reports from pathology database systems and route to applicable attending for review and sign-out within established parameters and formatting protocols.
- Initial Specimen / Slide Handling:
- Examines all information on requisition and specimen (pathology slides and/or blocks, blood, bone marrow, etc.)
- Checks for accuracy and prepares for entry into Co-path system.
- Examines specimen/slide and requisition and/or outside report for complete and accurate information, comparing patient demographic data on the specimen container/slide with that which is written on the requisition and/or outside report.
- Examines submitted slides and compares with outside report for correctness of slide number and patient name.
- Compares patient demographics on the requisition with that on the specimen container/slide. This must match. If there is discrepancy do not accession. Refer to supervisor.
- Accessioning Specimens / Slides:
- Enters patient data and specimen data information into the laboratory information system to assign the specimen to the correct patient.
- Ensures that the correct submitting physician is entered in the computer.
- Verifies that appropriate billing/account number corresponds to information written on the requisition received.
- Verifies that the same accession number in the computer is placed on the specimen container/slide and requisition.
- Enters appropriate information (i.e. part type, specimen, clinical history/diagnosis, outside slide accession number, number of slides submitted, outside procedure date).
- Preparing Molecular Final Reports for In-house Tests and Reference Lab Send Outs
- Produces accurate medical diagnostic report from handwritten material and web based portal sign outs
- Type final diagnosis and addendum reports for in-house molecular tests.
- Word Processing / Data Entry
- Reviewing Molecular sign out worksheets and using quick text (gen codes) appropriately based on molecular assay
- Checking for accuracy
- Checking for errors/ making corrections
- Checking that the specimen description and accession number appears accurately
- Entering accurate billing fee codes
- Proofreads all information for routine grammar and spelling errors;
- Follows up on missing or unclear information by contacting pathologist/fellow or supervisor.
- Completes all reports within established timeframe and places in pathologists’ queue for sign-out in CoPath
- Uses appropriate reference manuals to verify accuracy (i.e. medical dictionary).
- Preparing Molecular final reports involves entering patient diagnosis, test performed, and billing information in pathology computer system.
- Creates neat, accurate, well-formatted documents.
- Adds the name of technologist who processed the specimen.
- Follows up on missing or unclear information by contacting fellow/lab director or supervisor.
- Carries out job responsibilities related to billing in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance will all applicable departmental and institutional policies and procedures.
- Participates in and promotes the prevention, detection, and resolution of instances of noncompliance with departmental and institutional billing policies and procedures.
- Type final diagnosis for reference lab reports
- Uses reference lab templates provided by supervisor
- Provides clerical and administrative coverage.
- Provides diversified secretarial services, and other personnel within the Diagnostic Molecular Laboratory, to include: miscellaneous typing, providing phone coverage, maintaining confidential files, and organizing material for routine and special projects.
- Answers assigned telephone lines clearly and distinctly with name of department and appropriate staff;
- Routes calls immediately to the individual requested and take messages as necessary.
- Adheres to physicians’ instructions and Center policies in relation to the release of any patient information.
- Attends periodic clinical lab meetings.
- Assumes other administrative support responsibilities for the service as needed.
- HS Diploma or equivalent/ Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2 years of job-related experience; data entry in a laboratory environment is strongly suggested.
- At least 1 year experience in Accessioning Lab Specimens
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.