Biomedical Equipment Technician
Job Posting Number: 23858
New York, NY
September 13, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are seeking a Biomedical Equipment Technician
- Action oriented and eager to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Committed to high standards of productivity
- Adaptable in your approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
- A good decision maker, with proven success of making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet dedications with a keen eye for detail
- A professional who possesses the ability to work well with people of many diverse backgrounds and temperament
- Work in a time-convenient and high-pressure scenarios – troubleshooting with medical equipment quickly and efficiently (Not looking for a Researcher to dissect a product, just locate the problem immediately and communicate it to the right contact).
- Assure proper operation, interconnection, and maintenance of OR equipment; troubleshoots equipment problems intraoperative and as needed; arrange repairs and equipment exchange and distribution.
- Maintain equipment and accessories in optimal condition; aligns with all hospital policies to assure a safe, code-compliant perioperative environment.
- Direct and assist in the setup of OR equipment including endoscopic video systems, recording devices, monitors, surgical robotics, electrosurgery, insufflation equipment, etc..
- Ensure that all equipment is kept in optimal repair by providing periodic routine inspection and tests of equipment through equipment specification checklists in order to maintain code conformance and ensure performance.
- Identify and schedule equipment for periodic maintenance as required.
- Coordinate equipment availability for inspection and maintenance with Clinical Engineering.
- Troubleshoot all equipment systems both off-line and intraoperatively, is available for immediate consultation should problems arise.
- Report all problems, inputs from other departments, hazards and safety suggestions to supervisors as they occur.
- Arrange for equipment exchanges and spares; maintains a supply of backup cables and accessories for all systems as needed, contacts vendors and suppliers as needed.
- Maintain equipment purchase, maintenance and reference files, capital equipment inventory and on-line databases, and assists with equipment audits as requested.
- Develop documentation of setup and troubleshooting procedures for each equipment system.
- Arrange with Clinical Engineering for the inspection of new OR equipment being evaluated prior to first use; logs new devices/equipment into computer database.
- Report all equipment problems, repairs, maintenance and exchange of equipment in the computer system.
- Assist in maintaining current operating manuals, technical literature, and documentation for all OR equipment systems.
- Initiate purchase requisitions for replacement parts, repairs, and maintenance as needed.
- Work Monday – Friday 12:00PM – 8:00PM with rotating Saturdays
- AAS degree in Surgical Technology, Electronic Technology, instrumentation of electromechanical systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Bioengineering preferred
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in industrial or hospital environment.
- Knowledge of video systems, cameras, fiberoptics, light sources, computer-controlled instrumentation, robotics, and system troubleshooting techniques.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.