Per Diem Cytogenetics Tech
Job Posting Number: 23513
New York, NY
August 10, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Cytogenetics Lab located at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is seeking a Cytogenetics Technologist to use state-of-the-art molecular technologies to discover novel genetic and clinically useful molecular biomarkers. The Cytogenetic Technologist will be part of the laboratory team, and will be responsible for performing several wet-lab protocols on various tumor sample types. The position requires wet-bench lab experience and understanding of molecular cytogenetics.
We are seeking a Per Diem Cytogenetics Technologist who, under general supervision, will carry out cytogenetic analysis of specimens received by the laboratory.
- Perform laboratory bench work according to established and approved Standard Operating Procedures.
- Review all test requests thoroughly for errors, omissions, clarity, and potential problems.
- Follow unidirectional flow of specimen handling to avoid contamination.
- Help maintain commonly used equipment. Resolve minor equipment problems.
- Operate equipment carefully and according to procedures. Perform necessary equipment checks, performance testing, preventive maintenance, and quality control on equipment per laboratory guidelines, as assigned. Assure equipment and instruments meet performance standards. Record results.
- Maintain compliance with clinical genetic testing regulatory agencies and proficiency programs (CAP, CLIA, NYS Department of Health).
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Focused on continuous improvement, and know the most effective and efficient processes to optimize work flow.
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances.
- Motivated to consistently achieve results, from varying specimen types and quality.
- Organized and able to work independently and efficiently.
- A strong creative thinker with excellent problem solving skills.
- BS in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or related life sciences field.
- NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required.
- Experience working in a cytogenetics or other clinical molecular laboratory for 1 year.
Hours of work:
- Hours will vary each week but will be within 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.