Clinical Systems Specialist.
Job Posting Number: 23084
New York, NY
June 7, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking an Clinical Systems Specialist to join our Ancillary support team. In this role, the candidate will be responsible for analysis, evaluation of software features and functions, implementations, configuration, testing, deployment, documentation and on-going support of assigned departments and applications. In addition, you will coordinate all information technology related activities between end user departments and corresponding IS groups.
- Be responsible for learning, configuration, and system maintenance of applications related to medical device integration, alarm management, and secure texting for clinical staff.
- Be responsible for coordinating all IS related activities for a multitude of projects such as new system implementations, system upgrades, system enhancements, ongoing maintenance, and integration initiatives in partnership with clinical end user departments like Pharmacy, Radiology, Pathology and many others.
- Work closely with integration programmers to develop new HL7 interfaces and trouble-shoot existing ones.
- Translate users’ operational needs into practical, cost effective, and acceptable risk design solutions. Work with Health Informatics, Nursing Informatics and Ancillary IT teams that will present requests which you will have to document, understand, and evaluate to present possible technology solutions.
- Create application specification documents (including but not limited to functional design, workflow, maintenance, and support/troubleshooting, etc) in applications like Visio, Word and Excel to keep track of support processes, hardware configuration details, device inventories, etc.
- Review and understand potential use cases to develop, document, and execute test plans for new integrations and modifications to existing functionality.
- Track and document issues, decision points and resolutions for new implementations or other MSK projects.
- Collaborate with business owners to translate business process requirements to system functionality and configuration.
- Assist in identifying and implementing industry best practices, contributing to the documentation of SDD/IS processes and procedures, and assist in process improvement initiatives within IS.
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations
- Goal oriented and consistently striving to achieve results
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare, Information Sciences, Information Systems or equivalent experience; Master’s Degree is a plus
- 2 to 5 years experience in a complex, multi-departmental healthcare environment
- 2 to 5 years experience in a project management capacity, preferably performing clinical system implementations from the technical side but understands the clinical operational significance/impact
- Experience with HL7 interfacing is highly desirable.
- Proficient in Windows, MS Office Suite, including Outlook, MS Project, SharePoint and VISIO
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple projects and prioritize tasks will be the key to success in this role
- Strong communication skills
- Off-hours support required
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.