Data Governance Program Manager
Job Posting Number: 22826
New York, NY
June 4, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The MSK Enterprise Data Group is seeking a Data Governance Program Manager to lead the formation and execution of the MSK enterprise wide Data Governance Program, framework and policies.
The Data Governance Program Manager will be responsible for advancing all Data Governance related activities at MSK, including the roll out of the data quality management, master data management, metadata management, and related programs. The Data Governance Program Manager will also promote and instill the principle of managing data as a strategic enterprise asset in support of MSK’s mission to control and cure cancer.
You Will Also
- Develops processes and procedures in support of the MSK Data Governance Program workstreams in conjunction with existing MSK policies and procedures.
- Builds a Data Governance Office team and manages direct reports.
- Represents Data Governance in related operational meetings including, but not limited to, Compliance, Change Management, Project Management, Analytics, and data related forums and projects.
- Prepares council meeting agendas/minutes, including program updates, proposed policies and guidelines, and topics gathered from the data governance community that require escalation.
- Publishes program operations, content, roadmaps, status, and issues.
- Facilitates Data Domains, Data Quality, Metadata, Master Data, Policy, and Analytics Competency workgroups.
- Provides operational support and user training for the Data Governance technology and processes (Master Data Management, Data Quality, Metadata Management, and Data Governance processes).
- Publishes program goals, content, and progress to the Data Governance community and the enterprise through a variety of communication channels.
- Collaborates with external organizations to mature the program.
- Conducts recurring one-on-one meetings with Data Governance Council members and information owners to plan, collaborate, assist, and educate.
- Coordinates and facilitates stewardship activities.
- Monitors and measures the stewardship performance metrics.
- Offers steward certifications and performance recognition.
- Identifies and participates in speaking, award, and publication opportunities
- Uses knowledge and expertise to identify improvements through reducing data redundancy and appropriate data reuse
- Capable of building strong relationships at every level of the organization
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communication strategies based on that understanding
- Able to work effectively in an environment that contains complex, sometimes contradictory information
- Able to think conceptually and analytically with strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- Demonstrated process improvement, workflow, benchmarking and / or evaluation of business processes
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations
- Able to develop various documentation such as functional requirements, data quality rules, policy definitions
- Able to compare technologies and make recommendations to senior members of the team.
- Have a good understanding of information management practices including information lifecycle management, master data management and carrying out business audits and requirements gathering
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field. Master’s Degree preferred
- 5+ years of Healthcare experience
- 2+ years of Data Governance experience
- 5+ years of experience documenting processes and procedures
- Working knowledge of SQL, relational and non-relational databases, database structures, and unstructured databases
- Experience with data quality, metadata, and master data management tools a plus
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.