Infection Control Technician
Job Posting Number: 22379
New York, NY
May 16, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
- Collect and maintain a library of organisms necessary for molecular testing; records data and enter into database.
- Perform basic molecular diagnostic techniques. Self direct scheduling for analyses to be performed each day.
- Maintain laboratory equipment in proper working order. Follow departmental guidelines for equipment operation and maintenance of verification for each test performed and report any mechanical failures or repairs needed. Maintain inventory of supplies at appropriate levels.
- Comply with all rules and regulations of the center, the department, and Federal, State and City regulatory agencies.
- Attend in-services education meetings, seminars and conferences as required. Keep up to date on medical literature of molecular diagnostics, skill, and areas of interest.
- Perform special projects and other jobs related duties as assigned.
- Capable of anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Action-oriented and eager to embrace new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Able to hold yourself and others accountable in order to achieve goals and live up to commitments.
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding.
- Approachable – someone who is comfortable with diverse groups of people and able to make others comfortable with you.
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles.
- Able to utilize a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insights into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious.
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations.
- Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged, using both formal and informal development channels.
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a science related field plus 2-4 years experience in basic molecular biology required.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.