Assistant Manager of Plant Operations, The Breast & Imaging Center
Job Posting Number: 22074
New York, NY
August 30, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Assistant Manager will manage the administrative and technical activities of the Plant Operations Department under the Plant Operations Manager to ensure efficient and effective operations, quality service and customer satisfaction for a 24/hour a day, 7 day week operation. Provide technical expertise on construction, maintenance, repair, operation and alteration of infrastructure systems, and mechanical equipment for the Breast and Imagining Center.
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information.
- Building effective teams where team members apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- A provider of work directives, delegating responsibilities as necessary and removing obstacles as necessary to get work done.
- Supervise and guide the functions and activities of employees in the Plant Operations shop.
- Plan for projects: in collaboration with other shops and trades and departments across MSK and investigate delays, solve problems and ensure timely completion of current projects.
- Ensure compliance with institutional/ departmental policies, procedures, quality standards and improvement initiatives, safety standards, and OSHA requirements.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of NFPA codes and standards. Provide technical expertise on construction, maintenance, repair, operation and alteration of plumbing, mechanical, medical gas, and sprinkler/standpipe systems, and mechanical equipment for all MSK sites and properties.
- Maintain adequate inventory of supplies/ materials and equipment and reorders as necessary including management of monthly budget, expense reports, and purchase approvals for materials procured through corporate credit card.
- Oversee and guide the preventative maintenance of Plant Operations equipment during the off hours.
- Take appropriate action in emergencies including 24 hour on call availability.
- Maintain and enhance professional growth and development through participation in workshops, seminars, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of trends in the field and to assist with quality improvement initiatives.
- High School Diploma with more than 10 years Progressive experience in the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR) field. This position requires the application of specialized knowledge and significant job-related experience to provide guidance to other staff.
- Or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with ten (10) years experience in operational engineering of mechanical systems, plant and personnel administration.
- NYC Refrigeration Operators Certificate of Fitness required.
- Knowledge of co-generation systems.
- Sufficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (word, excel, PowerPoint).
- Systems experience (Johnson Control System, Siemens Control System, and Honeywell Control System).
- Mathematical skills to prepare cost estimates for jobs; knowledge of advanced math (equations, geometry) and analytical skills.
- Ability to interpret and read diagrams, sketches, operating and maintenance manuals, and manufacturers specifications and blueprints.
- Global thinking, technical knowledge, and experience to operate, resolve operational deficiencies and initiate corrective actions for infrastructure systems.
- Knowledge of applicable codes, standards and ability to operate complex machinery.
- Analytical skills include the ability to develop, analyze, and draw conclusions and develop solutions from engineering data.
ABILITY TO OBTAIN WITHIN 6 MONTHS:
* New York City G17 (use of piped O2/N02 in the hospital).
* NYC G35 (operate air compressors).
* NYC G48 (use and storage of cryogenic liquid /gases).
* NYC B29 (Supervision of Battery Systems and Other Related Equipment).
* NYC P99 (Low Pressure Oil burner Operation).
* NYC P98 (Supervise Fuel Oil Piping & Storage in Buildings).
* NYC Standpipe and Sprinkler Certificate.
* New York State Pesticide Applicator Certificate Preferred.
- Evenings 2:00p.m-10:00p.m.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.