Job Posting Number: 20548
New York, NY
June 12, 2018
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are currently seeking a candidate to join the Integrated Genomics Operation (IGO) as a Research Assistant. IGO specializes in high throughput genomics technologies, including a variety of sequencing platforms, and coordinates with other groups in the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) to provide investigators with a full range of genomic services. Our process is fully inclusive: we assist investigators with phenotypic characterization of tissues and macro dissection of specimens, and extract DNA and RNA from a wide variety of sources (single cells, FFPE and fresh frozen sample, buccal swab, circulating free DNA, etc.) to support basic, translational and clinical research. Ultimately, the focus of our work is to help establish the basis of cancer pathogenesis, diagnostics and treatment at MSKCC. The candidate will join the Nucleic Acids team which is responsible for all sample processing prior to sequencing, including library preparation of DNA and RNA, and capture protocols for DNA enrichment.
- Work in a highly robotized environment and handle 96 and 384 plates.
- Prepare sequencing libraries from DNA and RNA for an array of applications (SMARTr, RNAsequencing, WGS, WES, IMPACT, HEMEPACT, CRISPRseq and more)
- Peform manual processing for challenging samples.
- QA/QC libraries prior to sequencing and communicate results to investigative teams.
- Work with automation engineer to automate all possible processes
- Maintain a Lean Workflow for all processes
- Work closely with staff from IGO and the CMO to maintain open and proactive lines of communication.
- Communicate with vendor technical support and sales representatives if necessary
- An enthusiastic researcher organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to work independently while working in a large team.
- Someone handling a fast-paced environment and the pressure associated with deadlines with calm and maximum efficiency
- A valued colleague
- An outstanding communicator.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Biological, Chemistry, or Science related field with at least 6 years of relevant full-time experience or a Master’s degree with 3years full-time relevant experience.
- Knowledge and previous exposure to Illumina Next Generation Sequencing work is a must.
- Deep understanding of advanced molecular biology techniques is required.
- Previous exposure to a LIMS systems is preferred.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.