Safety Advisor, 12-hour shifts (overnight)
Job Posting Number: 17845
New York, NY
December 7, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
As one of the world’s premier cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously strive to exceed and set industry standards as well as enhance the safety culture. EHS is responsible for enterprise-wide environmental health and safety services, including Fire and Life Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a proven leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
As a Safety Advisor, you will:
- Work with a group of client departments to effectively implement environmental health and safety (EHS) services and programs.
- Conduct safety outreach for Departments and assigned areas and coordinate with supervisor to affirm effective EHS programs and service implementation in areas conducting higher-hazard operations.
- Independently evaluate chemical, biological, fire and general safety hazards as well as hazardous material shipments and waste management practices; implement effective safe work practices in accordance with established departmental standards and advance MSK’s safety culture.
- Receive extensive training on the technical and operational implementation of the EHS Safety Advisor training programs, which are developed by EHS Specialists. Upon completion of the EHS safety advisor training, you will be expected to independently implement EHS services and programs with routine supervisory review of safe work practice recommendations for higher-hazard operations.
- Conduct inspections of safety equipment.
- Respond as a part of an emergency team to fires, fire alarm activations, hazardous material spills, gas leaks, indoor air quality issues and other emergencies.
- Participate as a member of the EHS team, providing other departmental staff members with cooperation and support to further departmental mission.
- A Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, environmental science, industrial hygiene, or closely related field plus at least 2-4 years of work experience in a scientific, technical, or healthcare setting; Or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- A high service orientation with good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to impart health and safety information to workers of differing backgrounds.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal effectively with people in the widest variety of job classifications.
- The ability to develop and present safety trainings for groups of over 100 faculty, staff, and students.
- Excellent organizational skills, capability to work independently and as a team member in a service environment and handle multiple assignments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access.
Please note –
- This position is based primarily in Manhattan, but there may be some occasional travel needed to our regional sites in New Jersey, Long Island, and Westchester.
- Training will be in Manhattan.
Hours: 12-hour overnight shifts including rotating weekends and holidays.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.