Tech II, RARC
Job Posting Number: 17181
New York, NY
November 10, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK’s Reseach Animal Resource Center (RARC), Center of Comparative Medicine and Pathology (CCMP) is seeking a Tech II who will support the diagnostic and research functions of RARC’s Laboratory of Comparative Pathology (LCP) by providing a wide range of Laboratory services including microbiology, hematology, serum chemistry, parasitology, urinalysis, fluid analysis and serology performed on a variety of animal species used in biomedical research.
- Energetic, self-directed and self-motivated individual able to work in high volume, fast-paced environment with good written and verbal skills.
- Proficient in word processing; database entry, use of spreadsheets, power point, and laboratory information management system.
- Process clinical pathology testing on biologic specimens from laboratory animal’s including:
(a) Bacterial cultures
(b) serology tests
(c) parasitology tests
(d) physical, microscopic and chemical analyses
(e) complete blood counts and reticulocyte counts on an automated system
- Maintain and distribute records on laboratory specimens. Transcribe laboratory results into appropriate results forms and laboratory information management computer system.
- Prepare blood samples for in-house and reference lab analysis storage and mailing
- Perform quality control testing and preventive maintenance on hematology analyzer, serology instruments, pH meter, and microscopes. Monitor temperatures of incubator freezers. and refrigerators for quality control purposes. Perform the duties of quality assurance officer of the LCP.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and reagents for the assigned bench rotation. Perform routine laboratory clean-up and maintenance procedures for the assigned bench rotation.
- Perform other diagnostic laboratory related functions as deemed necessary and appropriate the Supervisor.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- At least 2 years of current laboratory experience with a strong background in Microbiology and Hematology, or internship in an accredited laboratory (CAP or State).
- Certification/Licensure as a Medical Technologist (generalist) obtained through written examination by a nationally recognized credentialing agency or state licensing body (ASCP) is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in handling laboratory animals is preferred.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.