Room Service Associate
Job Posting Number: 17014
New York, NY
November 16, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Responsible for introduction of room service program, distribution of diet – specific menus, delivery and retrieval of patient meal trays. Ensures that patients receive appropriate trays, enteral feedings, nourishments, and snacks within specified time frames. Maintains nourishments/supplies on the nursing unit pantry. Acts as liaison with Clinical Dietitian and Nursing personnel.
- Generates and prints all necessary reports (i.e., exception file, unit round sheet, and missed meal report).
- Uses exception file and unit round sheet to ensure that every patient listed has a menu to be distributed; checks that information on the menu (i.e., name, room number, identification number, and diet order) corresponds with unit round sheet/exception file.
- Ensures that corrective action (e.g., contacting diet office, nurses station) is taken if information is incorrect or missing.
- Determines which patients (i.e., late and new admissions) have not received menus; distributes menus at established times.
- Welcomes new patients and orients them to room service program, if applicable.
- Assesses which meal ordering system is appropriate during the patient’s stay based on established criteria. (i.e., patient will place order by phone or give request to room service associate).
- Assists patients to make meal selections on menu; offers substitutions to patient if patient is unsatisfied with standard menu options.
- Writes patients’ name, room number and diet order on menu for the three meals, when automated diet office system is not operating.
- Contacts patients who did not order a meal on assigned units; identifies reason(s) for missed meal and determines appropriate intervention as per departmental procedures.
- Distributes and collects meal trays, nourishments, feedings, nourishments or snacks on assigned floors, within established timeframes.
Hours of Work:
- 1pm – 9pm, five days per week, working three weekends per month.
- Ability to read, write and understand instructions
- High school or G.E.D
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.