Spring 2018 Graduates – Session Assistant
Job Posting Number: 16962
New York, NY
December 18, 2017
Now Hiring Spring 2018 Graduates
We would like to congratulate you on your upcoming commencement and encourage you to discover your future career opportunity in Hospital Administration. Spring 2018 graduates are invited to apply and begin interviewing for our entry-level Session Assistant roles, with employment beginning following graduation in May-August 2018. We invite graduates from all majors to apply for this role.
Please Note – if you are interested in beginning employment immediately – please search and apply for other open Session Assistant roles.
What is a Session Assistant?
In this entry-level role, you will have a unique opportunity to work side by side with clinicians and doctors in a strategic partnership. This role is perfect for talented and growing healthcare administration professionals and aspiring leaders of tomorrow. The job outlook for healthcare administrators is strong, with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting 17% growth through 2024. When you join us, you will quickly make a difference in the lives of our patients and become part of a team where everyone plays a substantial role in the fight against cancer. This role will prepare you for a successful career at MSK and allow you to follow a variety of paths within the Center.
Hours vary between 6:15am and 10:00 pm (Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays).
Schedules are provided a week in advance.
*Must be flexible to work anytime during this timeframe.
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Adept at building partnerships and collaborating to meet shared objectives and goals
- Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged, using both formal and informal development
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances
- Work as part of a practice staff team of session assistants to ensure that each physician practice session is well prepared, well organized, and fully utilized and that each patient visit occurs with satisfaction
- Serve as a liaison between the patient, family and clinical team during the office visit
- Greet/check-in and orient patients to the outpatient visit and to the environment, as well as complete the patient visit by scheduling and coordinating all appropriate tests, procedures, visits, treatments and consultations in accordance with the physicians’ orders
- An associate’s or 2 years college (required); bachelor’s degree (preferred). A high school diploma/GED and 2 years relevant experience (frontline, patient-facing role in healthcare) will be accepted in lieu of the associate’s degree.
- A demonstrated commitment to healthcare through work, internship, or volunteer experience.
- Strong computer skills
- A positive attitude and demeanor when handling stressful situations and acutely ill patients
Watch to learn more from our own recent graduates who are working in this role.
For consideration, you are required to pass an online assessment. When applying to this position, you will be prompted to take the assessment which will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Some of the questions refer to your past jobs or work experiences. If a question does not appear to apply to you exactly, consider the general intent and answer it as accurately as possible. For example, if you have not yet been formally employed in a full time job, consider part-time jobs you have had, or relevant work experiences you may have had in school, volunteer, or community organizations when answering these questions.