Insurance Specialist, Physician Billing Department
Job Posting Number: 15770
New York, NY
September 7, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Physician Billing Department (PBD) is seeking early career professionals for entry level opportunities on their rapidly growing team. The 200 person team is hiring an Insurance Specialist. The Insurance Specialist is a highly analytical role that will allow candidates with 1-2 years of work experience the chance to refine their communication skills, and learn about physician billing and quality assurance. This role provides an entry into hospital administration, finance and billing.
As an Insurance Specialist, you are:
- A strong communicator who is comfortable speaking with a variety of audiences.
- A detailed oriented, inquisitive individual who does not quit until a solution is found.
- Open to learning and able to accept constructive feedback to help you exceed performance expectations.
- Act as a representative of PBD and proactively contact insurance carriers regarding reduced or denied reimbursement and ensure patient insurance information is accurate.
- Retrieve various types of medical documentation and develop, submit and track appeals to carriers, per department procedure.
- Review and analyze all incoming explanation of benefits and adjust patient’ accounts to reflect the carrier decisions on the patient’s statement.
- A positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years work experience is preferred.
- The ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Prior experience working with data and reviewing trend/patterns preferred.
- Previous billing, QA or experience working in an outpatient clinic is highly preferred
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.