Job Posting Number: 14842
New York, NY
August 10, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Admitting Department is operational 24/7, 365 days a year and plays a critical role, interfacing with almost every department or unit in the center.The Admissions Representative is responsible for obtaining complete and accurate patient information during the inpatient admission process and collects insurance forms, signatures and payments. He / She will have interaction with patients, family, clients, and Center employees who depend on high quality, accuracy and timeliness of their work. The Admissions Representative will help coordinate appointment times with O.R Schedulers and provide vital information to patients prior to their visit. He / She will also assist clinicians with completion of death certificates.
- Perform check-in procedure for patients upon their arrival to admissions, and prepare them for their visit.
- Review bed status in Bed tracking for patients awaiting beds for admission.
- Assist patients with other needs (e.g., storing belongings, escorting to elevators, parking, hotel information).
- Instruct patients to complete a medical record request and forward to Clinical Information Center (CIC) via fax or mail when patient requests it.
- Take requests for private rooms and check availability with bed control. Obtains signatures from patient or family member.
- Print Operation Room list from Scheduling system and review to determine admission times according to departmental OR scheduling guidelines.
- Review with senior representative for verification.
- Calls patients daily to notify of admission time and report location.
- Obtain financial and demographic information pertaining to the patient account in a timely manner.
- Thoroughly explain inpatient admission documents and procedures and obtain signatures. Collect deposits for private rooms and payments as it relates to patient financial services.
- Prepare and review charts for inpatient and surgical cases.
- Assist Physician with completing the N.Y.S. death certificate and autopsy consent.
- High School Diploma with 1-2 years of relevant experience required.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Compassion and understanding needed to meet the needs our patient population.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility to work weekends or various shifts if needed (e.g, 8a-4p, 4p-12a, etc).
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.