Plant Operations Apprentice Program
Job Posting Number: 15287
New York, NY
August 2, 2017
MSK, in partnership with The Refrigeration Institute, is offering an opportunity for career advancement by training to become a Plant Operator.
The 18-month apprentice program consists of classroom education and a working rotation throughout MSK facilities. Upon program completion, participants will need to obtain the required licenses and certifications necessary to be hired into the Plant Operator role at MSK. The program will begin on Monday, October 9, 2017 for employees new to MSK and Wednesday, October 11, 2017, for existing MSK employees.
Throughout the program, participants will develop a variety of skills that will ensure you are successful in your new role as Plant Operator at MSK.
These skills will include:
- Inspecting and testing generators, and all other plant machinery and equipment to ensure the safe and efficient operation
- Operating, repairing, replacing, maintaining and installing part of physical plant machinery and equipment (i.e.: heating, air conditioning, ventilation systems and medical support equipment)
- Reading, interpreting and recording all systems data
- Correcting abnormal environmental and systems conditions (i.e.: temperature variations, loss of utilities, steam and water pressures, and quality variances in water systems)
- Continually recording and maintaining logs and data sheets of systems readings, producing reports and documenting time worked and all materials used utilizing the work order computer system for recording activity
Participants will work a schedule of Monday-Friday; 7:30am-3:30pm. Classroom training will take place at The Refrigeration Institute which is located at 545 Eighth Avenue, New York, New York 10018.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants must pass the following exams:
- Operating Engineer Q-01 or Q-99
- New York City G-71 (Supervision of piped non-flammable medical gas)
- New York City G-29 (Safe use of flammable gases about 6 psi)
- New York City G-35 (Operate air compressors)
- New York City S-12, S-13 (Standpipe and Sprinkler certificates)
- New York City P-98 (Supervise fuel oil piping and storage in buildings)
- New York City Z-50 (Fire Safety Director/Emergency Action Plan Director) as required
- New York State Pesticide Applicator Certificate
Once the above certifications and licenses are obtained, you will have the opportunity to become a full-time Plant Operator in one of MSK’s facilities in New York City. We ask that you serve a minimum of two years in this role at MSK.
To be considered for this program, you must have the following:
- All internal candidates must be in good standing (performance rating of 3.0 and above); minimum of 1 year in current role is not applicable for this opportunity
- High school or equivalent diploma
- Ability to use various hand and power tools, rigging equipment, instruments such as pressure gauge testing devices, manometers, air/water flow meters, pneumatic instrumentation calibration and testing equipment, pyrometers, steam trap analyzers, heat flow sensors and tachometers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to enter and retrieve information using computer programs
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- Knowledge of advanced math (equations, geometry) and analytical skills
- Ability to interpret and read diagrams, sketches, operating and maintenance manuals, and manufacturer’s’ specifications and blueprints
All applications must have a cover letter that includes the following:
- Why are you interested in the program?
- What is your understanding of Plant Operations?
- How do the program and position of Plant Operator align with your career goals?
**Applications must be received by August 18, 2017**