Manager, Plant Operations
Job Posting Number: 15259
New York, NY
September 27, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Manager, Plant Operations
He or she will handle the administrative and technical activities of the Plant Operations Department to ensure efficient and effective operations, quality service and customer satisfaction for an 24/hour a day, 7 day week operation.
- Lead and guide the function and activities of the employees in the Plant Operations Shop. Participate in hiring, training, orienting, providing ongoing feedback and contributes to the performance appraisal process. Respond to employee questions and provides mentorship on how to proceed.
- Monitor quantity and quality of work in progress to ensure that established time frames are met. Report on progress to management. Communicate and ensure compliance to institutional/departmental policies, procedures, quality standards and improvement initiatives, safety standards, and OSHA requirements.
- Develop, manage and implement infrastructure replacement/upgrade projects for MSK equipment and utility systems and coordinate work with all trades involved. Develop projects and budgets soliciting prices from contractors and vendors on managed projects.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of NFPA codes and standards. Provide technical expertise on construction, maintenance, repair, operation and alteration of plumbing, mechanical, medical gas, and sprinkler/standpipe systems, and mechanical equipment for all MSK sites and properties. Take appropriate action in emergencies including 24 hour on call availability.
- Generate, maintain and present, when required, Plant Operations documentation for authorities having jurisdiction, including but not limited to, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), Joint Commission (JCAHO), etc. on matters of compliance as they relate to infrastructure systems and operations. Provide guidance and information to Facilities Management staff, consulting engineers, and contractors as well as outside agencies to ensure that systems are competently altered with minimal disruption to the MSK environment. Review and prepare reports and records information as required (e.g., time sheets, purchase orders, cost estimates).
- Investigate and solicit bids and vendor proposals for procurement of materials, equipment, and contracted services for utility systems maintenance, repairs and associated projects. Manage and ensure adequate inventory of supplies, materials and equipment in order to facilitate timely responses for service and maintenance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with ten (10) years experience in operational engineering of mechanical systems, plant and personnel administration.
- Minimum five (5) in healthcare environment with staff of 15 or more.
- NYC Refrigeration Operators Certificate of Fitness
- Sufficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (word, excel, PowerPoint)
- Systems experience (Johnson Control System, Siemens Control System, and Honeywell Control System)
- Mathematical skills to prepare cost estimates for jobs; knowledge of advanced math (equations, geometry) and analytical skills
- Ability to interpret and read diagrams, sketches, operating and maintenance manuals, and manufacturers specifications and blueprints
- Global thinking, technical knowledge and experience to operate, resolve operational deficiencies and initiate corrective actions for infrastructure systems.
- Knowledge of applicable codes, standards and ability to operate complex machinery.
- Analytical skills include ability to develop, analyze, and draw conclusions and develop solutions from engineering data.
ABILITY TO OBTAIN WITHIN 6 MONTHS:
- New York City G17 (use of piped O2/N02 in hospital),
- NYC G35 (operate air compressors)
- NYC G48 (use and storage of cryogenic liquid /gases)
- NYC Standpipe and Sprinkler Certificate
- New York State Pesticide Applicator Certificate
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.