Session Assistant I – Ambulatory Care
Job Posting Number: 11735
New York, NY
August 17, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Adept at creating partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged, using both formal and informal development
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances
- Work as part of a practice staff team of session assistants to ensure that each physician practice session is well prepared, well organized, and fully utilized and that each patient visit occurs with satisfaction
- Serve as a liaison between the patient, family and clinical team during the office visit
- Greet/check-in and orient patients to the outpatient visit and to the environment, as well as complete the patient visit by scheduling and coordinating all appropriate tests, procedures, visits, treatments and consultations in accordance with the physicians’ orders
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Associates or 2 years college required. High School diploma and 2 years relevant experience (frontline, patient-facing, customer-focused role in healthcare) accepted in lieu of Associates or 2 years college; candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to healthcare through work, internship, or volunteer experience will be considered
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to handle acutely ill patients in stressful situations with a positive demeanor
- Ability to provide at least a 2 year commitment
Hours vary between 6:15am and 10:00 pm (Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays).Schedules are provided a week in advance. *Must be flexible to work anytime during this timeframe.
In order to be considered for the Session Assistant position, you will be required to pass an online Administrative Assessment. During the application process for this position, you will be prompted to take the assessment, which will take about 45 minutes to complete.
Some of the questions in the assessment may refer to your past jobs or work experiences. If a question does not appear to apply to you exactly, consider the general intent and answer it as accurately as possible. For example, if you have not yet been formally employed in a full time job, consider part-time jobs you have had, or relevant work experiences you may have had in school, volunteer, or community organizations when answering these questions.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.