Sr. Strategic Analyst ( Data Scientist )
Job Posting Number: 9542
New York, NY
January 5, 2017
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 26th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Patient Access Service
The Patient Access Service (PAS) is the front-door for the majority of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s patients. A team of 60+ Care Advisors and nurses is charged with helping patients access MSK clinicians by collecting information about their medical history and treatments, identifying the right sub-specialist to provide expert care, and coordinating appointment logistics.
Strategy Analytics Team
The Strategy Analytics team (within the Department of Strategy and Innovation) leverages the power of data and analytics to shape strategic decisions at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a world renowned organization dedicated to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research, and education.
Over the past 10 years, we have applied our expertise in quantitative methodologies to investigate and improve operations, create long-term strategies for the hospital’s growth, and redefine models for care delivery. We were awarded the 2012 INFORMS Prize for “repeatedly applying the principles of advanced analytics and operations research / management science in pioneering, varied, novel, and lasting ways.”
We focus on solving problems that will measurably impact the lives of our patients and staff. Our team has close relationships with senior executives, clinicians, and front-line staff, with whom we work closely to make the results of our analyses practical and usable.
Embedded Analyst Program
This position is part of our Embedded Analyst Program, where Strategy & Innovation analysts are embedded in various operational departments and immersed in their challenges. These positions will report directly to leadership of operational departments, and be supported (with training, tools, and mentorship) from S&I.
The Role and Projects
We are seeking a Senior Strategic Analyst who will serve as the lead on projects crucial to ensuring MSK’s growth and allowing patients continued access to our clinicians’ expertise (both major institutional priorities with broad executive support). In partnership with the Director of Patient Access, the Senior Strategic Analyst will empower data-driven decisions and process improvement to improve patients’ outcomes and experience. This will involve defining and scoping analyses, collecting and managing data, performing statistical and mathematical modeling, developing new tools and systems, and sharing results. The Senior Strategic Analyst will also be involved in mentoring and training junior analysts.
Sample projects include:
- Growth Planning and Strategy: PAS leadership collaborates closely with clinicians and administrators on how to best grow and manage their services. How can we provide them additional insights to guide clinician recruitment and practice management?
- Call Center Operations: Patient demand is variable and changing. How can we define optimal staffing and training policies so as to maximize service levels while maintaining staff satisfaction?
- Predictive Modeling: How can we develop patient profiles in order to match them with the right staff? How can we utilize real-time language data (derived from the phone system) to guide Care Advisors’ conversations?
- Operational Dashboards: PAS Care Advisors are responsible for managing a complex case load. How can we better help them track their patients and eliminate process bottlenecks?
- Adept at working with real-world data and extracting meaningful insights from it
- Comfortable with using quantitative techniques (e.g. machine learning, forecasting, and predictive modeling) to solve business problems
- Hungry to make processes and systems more effective and efficient
- A versatile storyteller, able to communicate complex technical subjects to non-technical audiences
- Curious, eager to tackle a wide variety of problems, and able to learn independently
- Bachelors degree in a quantitative field (statistics, economics, operations research, mathematics, etc.).
- 4-7 years of experience working with real-world data.
- Expertise with relational databases and SQL queries.
- Expertise in data visualization (especially Tableau).
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
Nice to have:
- Masters degree in a quantitative field.
- Proficiency in statistical software (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS).
- Proficiency in a programming language (e.g. Python, Java).
- Prior work experience in a clinical setting.
WHEN APPLYING, PLEASE INCLUDE BOTH A RESUME AND A COVER LETTER (AS A SINGLE PDF).
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.